Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Wow, does WIC give the baby food

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM
  • 20 Replies

I imagine if we were giving him 100% baby food it wouldn't be much but we just went and got all of Marches baby food, and it was $85 in savings.  We aren't feeding solids really yet and we plan to make our own but my husband wanted some on hand just in case.  So it was like 84 jars of fruits and veggies, and another 41 in meats.  It was a lot of baby food. We get more next month but I think that will be our last moth since I got a job.  I was amazed at the amount though.  This is his first month on food and he'll be 8 months on the 11th.  We started some homemade solids but then he's been sick for over a week so we stopped until he's better but I need to make up the carrots that were planned for him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM

WIC gives out way too much baby food in my opinion. There are a lot of people that come into the office and say they cannot use it all. This is something my office is working on fixing. In the meantime I would just give whatever you don't use to someone that needs it.

meiswinkers
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM

i was just thinking that!! i just got my first months supply of baby food for my 6 mth old, and i  too make my own food.  what am i going to do with all of this?!?!?!  i wonder if it is considered fraud to give it to the homeless shelter?

michellina124
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM

My sister had so much she started storing it at my house I told her to get bananas and carrots I'll make bread for the kids LOl.  Sad thing is for my 2 yr old I get only $6 for fruit and vegi's a month they need to take away baby food and put more towards the older ones that eat more.

Quoting ArmyMom2oneboy:

WIC gives out way too much baby food in my opinion. There are a lot of people that come into the office and say they cannot use it all. This is something my office is working on fixing. In the meantime I would just give whatever you don't use to someone that needs it.

owensmommy1122
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM

i totally agree. my 2 year old old gets the same and it's hardly anything for him because he loves them so much. i am having my second baby in september and i wonder when they do start giving me the baby food what i will do with it....i make my own.

Quoting michellina124:

My sister had so much she started storing it at my house I told her to get bananas and carrots I'll make bread for the kids LOl.  Sad thing is for my 2 yr old I get only $6 for fruit and vegi's a month they need to take away baby food and put more towards the older ones that eat more.

Quoting ArmyMom2oneboy:

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM

What we don't use I fully intend to donate to someone that needs it.  For now though we'll keep it on hand in case we need it.  I just put it in a plastic tub and will store it until we determine we don't need it taking note of the expiration dates.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I'm on wic, when my baby hits that age we are either going to say we don't need them, or we'll donate them. I tend to not give solids until much later, and when I do we go straight to finger foods.

mommyof2grls06
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM

They give formula fed babies a "normal" amount. The WIC lady told me that they give breast fed babies so much food is because they're trying to make women want to breastfeed more than formula feed. They give moms who nurse more food as well and a $10 check instead of $8. But I do agree that they give us way too much food. I just started my 8 month old on a little bit of food and she old eats about 1/8 of the jar and is done. I've been giving my tons of extra food to some of my friends with formula fed babies.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Yeah the amount of baby food is INSANE, but if they want to give it to me sure they can gvie it to me.

Whatever I don't use I will give to a womens shelter or to catholic charities, others may need it more than me

Heather881029
by on Mar. 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I think WIC tends to give too much in some areas and not quite enough in others.  The vouchers for fruits and veggies are great - Our 2 year old gets $6 a month and I get $15 per month because I am nursing twins.  The twins each get 96 jars of baby food each month which is entirely too much.  But our town just open a pregnancy crisis center and I will donate some to them.  We also get too much milk each month.  Between what I get and what our 2 year old gets we are at 21 gallons per month.  We are a family of 7 but do not use quite this much milk.  I donate it to our old daycare or just don't get it.  I appreciate the help but wish I could change the amounts a little but no complaints because it is very helpful for our family.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 27, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Quoting Heather881029:

I think WIC tends to give too much in some areas and not quite enough in others.  The vouchers for fruits and veggies are great - Our 2 year old gets $6 a month and I get $15 per month because I am nursing twins.  The twins each get 96 jars of baby food each month which is entirely too much.  But our town just open a pregnancy crisis center and I will donate some to them.  We also get too much milk each month.  Between what I get and what our 2 year old gets we are at 21 gallons per month.  We are a family of 7 but do not use quite this much milk.  I donate it to our old daycare or just don't get it.  I appreciate the help but wish I could change the amounts a little but no complaints because it is very helpful for our family.

I totally agree! We are not big milk drinkers, and when I breastfeed I don't give any milk to my kids (and I breastfeed well past a year).  So we get more than twice as much milk as we need.  We do eat a lot of eggs, fruits and veggies though. We go through a carton of eggs in two days and when I'm at the store I use up all our fruit and veggie checks fo rthe month in one visit (and we get one $10.00 and two $6.00 ones.) I wonder if its possible to make suggestions.

Julia: wife of Drew, christian, pro-life, homebirthing, AP mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, new baby due 9-11-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)