Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can not breastfeed at daughters school UPDATE

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM
  • 68 Replies

I am so mad right now I have 3 kids ages 11, 2, and 9 months.  My 9 month old if still ebf.  I was at my 11 year old daughters school today for a program sitting in the back nursing my baby.  I had my hooter hider on and had on 2 shirts so nobody could see anything.  HEr principle came up to me and told me that I could not breastfeed on campus.  I looked at her and asked if she was joking because I have always bf my babies on campus as I am HIGHLY involved in the activities at the school and nobidy has ever said anything about it.  So then about 20 min later I had to leave because my baby was fussy and hungry and when I walked outside she was there and called me over and said that I could not not bf on campus when anychildren are around.

So I was livid it made me cry, but now I want your imput as I am ready to make a big deal out of it.

Thank you ladies for your support I have called the district and found out that there is now policy either way about moms breastfeeding on campus.  I think I am going to have a meeting with the principle and inform her of the california state laws and that the district according to the district I can breast feed on campus and see where it goes from there.  If she continues to give me trouble I will then report her to the superintendent.  The problem with this lady is that she repeatably has banished parents from the school and even though she has no grounds to do that to me I do not her her to try and then that affect my daughter.   I am still very upset about this but I have to remember that my daughter who atends this school can not be affected by this.

by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I would call the state. That is complete BS! You CAN breastfeed wherever you want.

ablackdolphin
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:17 PM
I'd report it to the superintendent! Most states allow you to bfeed where ever you and your baby can legally be. Hell, schedule a nurse in at the school!!
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Check your state laws.  Print it out and kindly give the principle a copy.  I think that most states protect mom's right to nurse whereever they are allowed legally to be.  Some are more extensive and farreaching.  Then, after she has been informed, feel free to nurse at the next school function you are at.  You said you were covered - I would continue that if that is how you are comfortable.  :)  Sorry you have to deal with something like this, but unfortunately, not everyone is informed about laws protecting nursing moms.  :)  Good luck!  Oh, LLL website and kellymom.com should have the link to the laws.  :)

WilliamsMama08
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Ditto

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I'd report it to the superintendent! Most states allow you to bfeed where ever you and your baby can legally be. Hell, schedule a nurse in at the school!!

akacowgirlrebel
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I am in california and I know it is illegal what she did

cutiepye228
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM

ok so just look up  state laws. California state law says u can bf ur baby anywhere public or private that u are allowed to be. i would deff print this out and bring it with u the next time u go that way if she says anything to u again u can just hand it to her!!

Neeners1
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM

wow.

http://www.californiabreastfeeding.org/index.html

What county are you in? I'll see if i can find you a "License to Breastfeed"

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

CafeMom Tickers

akacowgirlrebel
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I am in Los Angeles county City of Lakewood

Neeners1
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM

et voila!

http://www.breastfeedingtaskforla.org/pdf/Law%20Card.pdf

they have to be printed double sided but keep these on hand should anyone try this BS again, kindly hand them a card and continue feeding your little love

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

CafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM

California

Cal. Civil Code § 43.3 (1997) allows a mother to breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, except the private home or residence of another, where the mother and the child are otherwise authorized to be present. (AB 157)

Cal. Civil Code § 210.5 (2000) allows the mother of a breastfed child to postpone jury duty for one year and specifically eliminates the need for the mother to appear in court to request the postponement. The law also provides that the one-year period may be extended upon written request of the mother. (Chap. 266; AB 1814)

Cal. Health and Safety Code § 1647 (1999) declares that the procurement, processing, distribution or use of human milk for the purpose of human consumption is considered to be a rendition of service rather than a sale of human milk. (Chap. 87; AB 532)

Cal. Health and Safety Code § 123360 and § 1257.9 require that the Department of Public Health include in its public service campaign the promotion of mothers breastfeeding their infants. The department shall also develop a training course of hospital policies and recommendations that promote exclusive breastfeeding and specify staff for whom this model training is appropriate.  The recommendation is targeted at hospitals with exclusive patient breastfeeding rates ranked in the lowest twenty-five percent of the state. (2007 Chapter 460, SB 22)

Cal. Labor Code § 1030 et seq. (2001) provides that employers need to allow a break and provide a room for a mother who desires to express milk in private.

Cal. Assembly Concurrent Resolution 155 (1998) encourages the state and employers to support and encourage the practice of breastfeeding by striving to accommodate the needs of employees, and by ensuring that employees are provided with adequate facilities for breastfeeding and expressing milk for their children. The resolution memorializes the governor to declare by executive order that all state employees be provided with adequate facilities for breast feeding and expressing milk.

From : http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/Health/BreastfeedingLaws/tabid/14389/Default.aspx  ((sorry, I haven't the slightest idea how to make that a link!!  ;) ))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)