• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can/should I start fenugreek BEFORE I deliver?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

Some of you may know my story of not being able to get milk in (PCOS and possibly hypoplastic breasts, planning to ask DR.), and I was just wondering if is is safe, and if there might be any benefits to starting fenugreek before DS arrives....I am due in 3 weeks.  Thanks

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ChazznRoccosmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I have PCOS too and it always takes my milk away without Domperidone. After a lot of research, I learned that starting the meds as soon as you deliver will help with all of that (even though my milk doesn't leave for three months). But no, taking it while pregnant doesn't help.

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (7y)         Rocco (4y)         Joey (18m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

Live in or around PUEBLO,CO? Come join us! http://www.cafemom.com/group/PuebloMommys

anunderwood
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Fenugreek can cause cramping so I wouldn't take it before I had the baby.

First_One_8_18
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I don't think it's for use during pregnancy. It says it all over the bottle and it wouldn't do anything, anyways for your supply before you deliver. I would start taking it the day my milk comes in (if you're dead set on taking it), which, for me, is always day 4. My babies lose 10%+ of their body weight while in the hospital because of my milk not coming in immediately, so if that happens, don't freak out! It doesn't mean that your milk isn't going to be enough for your babies. I would personally give your own body a chance. 

Pandana
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Quoting anunderwood:

Fenugreek can cause cramping so I wouldn't take it before I had the baby.

This. It can be a mild uterine stimulant and is therefore not recommended for use during pregnancy.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Fenugreek is off limits during pregnancy.

vances_mom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM
It also increases your bleeding risk. That's why you have to stop taking it prior to surgery, too. DO NOT take it while pregnant. I agree w/ PP about Domperidome. I have 1 hypoplastic breast and a combo of both fenugreek and domperidome helped so much. I started taking them 2wks postpartum.
jeng1980
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM

It would do no good as everyone has said.  Delivery of the placenta tells your body that baby is out and needs nourishment therefore puts everything into place to start sending mature milk your baby's way...out your breasts.

Mommymo08
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM

thanks for all the replies.....If I aait to take it until my mile comes in, my milk won't come in, but I will start it as soon as I get home....didn;t find out about it until abput week 3 last time. THANKS!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

YOu can take goats rue, domperidone, reglan while preggers just not fenugreek.

Remember that milk will not be produced til the placenta is removed fromt he uterine wall and prolactin is released...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)