Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping/storage question

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM
  • 12 Replies

I was talking to a friend about pumping at work and she said she used the same horns all day, just popped them in the fridge.  She would hook them up to 8 ounce bottles and pump into the same two bottles all day.  I though you weren't supposed to mix milk that was different temps?  Would this be okay to do?

TIA!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Neeners1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

i've never heard you weren't allowed to mix milks of different temps.... i just know you're not supposed to mix milk that's more than 24 hours apart.

i always pump into the same 2 bottles throughout the course of my day. i mean, can you imagine always pumping into a different container? how many bottles you'd have to wash?

not to mention your storage supply would be in nothing but 2-4 oz increments (depending on your output during each session) which means you'd go through a tonnnn of bags.

so to answer your question, yes, it's okay to do.

just make sure the "horns" are being cleaned after each pumping session.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

CafeMom Tickers

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM

No. It is NOT OK. What she was doing was risking contamination. Always cool to the same temp. Easier? Consider the output of one pumping to be one feeding.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I used to wash everything after each pump session and use different bottle collection containers. But now with my second DS; am breaking all the rules, lol. I pump into the same bottles until they are full, then put on the ice pack, and then switch. I simply wipe off my breast shilds, and valves with a kleenex and use pop them back on the next time I pump, as long as 1) the first pumping session was less than 8 hours or so, and 2) they are not stored in a hot place (>72 degrees or so). It's been 3 months and no milk-borne illness here!

erica8578
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I always cool my freshly expressed milk to the same temp before I add it. That is how it is supposed to be done. Imo I would rather wsh a few extra bottles than risk contamination.

Daisymae6
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:37 PM

i use to combine the pumping output from one session into one bottle. then put in the fridge. the next session i would use the bottle from the previous session (rinsed out) and a new one then combine the two.... once those were cooled in the fridge then i could combine both of those containers and any others from the day.

as far as using the same flanges and stuff, i have heard that to save time you can put them into the fridge after pumping to keepbacteria from spreading till the next session. I use to do that to cut down on time. i would rinse at every other pumping session instead.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Sorry, Neeners...no, it is UNsafe. Treat breastmilk like ANY other food. You wouldn't add freshly cooked pasta to a dish that was already refrigerated. Same deal here. Must be same temp before ever combining. Yes, it means more washing after you use the bottles. AND you would go through a ton of bags...considering a serving shouldn't be much more than four ounces to eliminate waste.

Quoting Neeners1:

i've never heard you weren't allowed to mix milks of different temps.... i just know you're not supposed to mix milk that's more than 24 hours apart.

i always pump into the same 2 bottles throughout the course of my day. i mean, can you imagine always pumping into a different container? how many bottles you'd have to wash?

not to mention your storage supply would be in nothing but 2-4 oz increments (depending on your output during each session) which means you'd go through a tonnnn of bags.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Oh. And my time saver was three sets of funnels. New one each session, all washed at home.

marinesweetie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM

When I pump I do each boob during a session it goes in the same bottle, I wash everything ou, I usually get a 6-8oz bottle out of the session, if I dont and I want to add to it, I wash everything out and I pump again 2-3 hrs later and cool that BM and add it to what Ive already pumped

teachermama81
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM

ok, thanks everyone. I already have two sets of horns, I'll just buy another.  And daisymae, I'll do that with the bottles, that way I will only have four bottles to wash instead of six.

I can't consider one pumping a feeding yet, I can get anywhere from 3-5 ounces per side in about 5 minutes or so, and DD only takes threeish ounces every 2-3 ounces.  I'm currently storing in 2-3 ounces bags, depending on how much I get (right now I'm only pumping in the am on one side while I feed on the other).  I'm sure that number will go down eventually though. 

Thanks everyone! 

Neeners1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM

whoops! sorry. i've been doing it that way for 4 months without any issues. i suck lol

Quoting gdiamante:

Sorry, Neeners...no, it is UNsafe. Treat breastmilk like ANY other food. You wouldn't add freshly cooked pasta to a dish that was already refrigerated. Same deal here. Must be same temp before ever combining. Yes, it means more washing after you use the bottles. AND you would go through a ton of bags...considering a serving shouldn't be much more than four ounces to eliminate waste.

Quoting Neeners1:

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)