• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG my poor nips

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

Is anyone else having as much trouble with nursing as I am?  Milk production isn't the problem; the problem is that I have been BFing for 15 days and my nipples are literally torn up.  They both look like a razor blade cut a half moon into them.  I am using lansinoh after every feeding and alternating breasts.  I don't think she is tongue tied, but am going to ask her pedi next wednesday.  It didnt take my nips this long to get used to Bfing my oldest, so I am confused as to why it is so bad this time.  I am making sure she gets plenty of my nip in her mouth also.  Does anyone have any ideas?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Have you called a LC to see if the latch is correct? I would do that  & just make sure  everythign is ok. I have to add(totally ot) that you have a wonderful name! (it's mine too!)

grigsbymom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I used o hate it as a child, but love it as an adult lol.

Quoting mamabens:

Have you called a LC to see if the latch is correct? I would do that  & just make sure  everythign is ok. I have to add(totally ot) that you have a wonderful name! (it's mine too!)

grigsbymom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:31 PM

any  ideas????  Im desperate here.

Momforhealth
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Do not use any product on your skin ....only breastmilk.  Then go a day without a bra...try and get as much fresh air as possilbe on your chest..  Then try putting baby in a new position to make sure baby is latching on properly.  Make sure that the entire nipple is evenly in her mouth.  Make a peace sign with your 2 fingers, then put them on either side of your nipple, then make sure baby has your nipple evenly in her mouth. Drink more water and take a day of only napping and baby.  You need some rest. 

Make sure to wipe out babies mouth and tongue with a wet wash rag after nursing.

grigsbymom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Thank you so much, I will try these things.  I am still getting engorged so the no bra thing will be interesting lol, but will try it anyway.  I was thinking about the even nipple thing too.  I sure hope that is the only problem.  Thank you again

MelaneeO
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:57 PM

you could use a nipple shield to give yourself a chance to heal, then stop when you're all better (i did, it's a lifesaver)

abelsmama07
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:05 PM

oh, mama... i know EXACTLY what you're talking about with the half moon cuts... honestly the only thing that i believe finally helped me was dr. jacks apno.  you'll need a prescription for it, but it's safe for baby... and finally helped the healing process begin.  i would see an lc ASAP, to make sure the latch is good, and then call your ob for that rx. 

Haylee1113
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:54 PM

You can rub your breastmilk on your nipples it will help you heal as much as any creams and you can use a contact nipple shield until they heal up so that LO doesn't keep ripping them up further.

Good luck, torn up nipples are the worst : (

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)