• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do I wean my baby? HELP!!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have decided that its in my baby's best interest that I begin to wean her ASAP.  She is 8 months old, and although I planned to nurse for a year, I had to make this hard decision because my neurologist put me on a new medication for my epilepsy..and the effects on infants is unknown [the manufacturers say not to nurse while taking the drug]. 

My breasts no longer respond to my pump, and dd hates the taste of formula.  So what do I do????  Not taking the medication isn't an option.

shrugging

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Drop one feeding per week till gone, replacing with formula. She'll have to get over the dislike. She WILL NOT be happy. You have to weigh that against your health.

Just to be safe...check oyur med on the National Institutes of Health's Lact-Med database. It is more accurate than even the manufacturer's information. Indeed, manufacturer's don't bother...they giove a blanket "no" to avoid lawsuits. Even prenatals come with warnings that they shouldn't be taken by pregnant women!

loribbi
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM

You might also want to consider giving a different formula a try.  They're all different, and she may take one versus the other.  And have someone other than yourself give her the first few bottles.  Sometimes not liking the taste has more to do with the giver than the formula itself.

Daynaof3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM

This, I want to stress checking on the med too. I counsel a mom who has epilepsy and she is breastfeeding and taking meds. She takes Dilantin, info on that here: http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~qB3bdV:1

Quoting gdiamante:

Drop one feeding per week till gone, replacing with formula. She'll have to get over the dislike. She WILL NOT be happy. You have to weigh that against your health.

Just to be safe...check oyur med on the National Institutes of Health's Lact-Med database. It is more accurate than even the manufacturer's information. Indeed, manufacturer's don't bother...they giove a blanket "no" to avoid lawsuits. Even prenatals come with warnings that they shouldn't be taken by pregnant women!

JamesAndMe
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM

First, check on  the medication to make sure it is not safe on LACT-med. 

If it's not safe, bring up other medications that --are-- safe and ask if you could not try any of them instead.   If you don't know of different medicines.. Call  your doctor and tell him to research into LACT-med, Dr. Hale, or give LLL a call and find a safe for nursing anti-seizure medication for you to try..  He can and should do that, and so could you ;)  He's your employee.  Get what you want from him.  There are tons of different seizure medications, many of which are safe if you look at a reference other than a PDR.

millerjess
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Hopefully your meds will end up being safe to breastfeeding. If not, Big Hugs. You have done it for 8 months...I think that is GREAT!

~ Mommy to: Madison (6.2.03)
My Angel Baby Alexander (4.26.06)
Jack (6.14.07)
Benjamin Lloyd (1.4.10)

mommyajay
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM

do you have frozen bm? can you mix BM with formula  in slow ratios? like 4 oz bm 1oz formula a few feedinds and then 3 ozformula 2 bm. like that.  doesnt necessarily have to be 5 oz just slowly mix it  in?

lovemymarine306
by on Apr. 6, 2010 at 8:16 PM

i checked the database, and it says that there is no reason to stop bf-ing, but it also says long-term effects are unknown.  and she's already showing negative side effects to the meds, which means that i can't take the chance that maybe it will be proved safe later down the road. 

i'm going to try using different formulas, but how do i actually go about weaning her?

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Quoting lovemymarine306:

i'm going to try using different formulas, but how do i actually go about weaning her?

Not quite sure what you're asking, then? Because that was the very first thing I wrote in the first answer to this thread. Drop one feeding per week till gone, replacing with formula.

You can increase that to one dropped every couple of days if you want, to speed things up.

OR... never give her the breast again starting NOW and just pump for relief, dropping a session every few days to a week to reduce your supply.

There are no magic tricks, I'm afraid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)