Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am i weird?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM
  • 9 Replies

i was pumping for about 15 minutes the other day and only got about 2 oz.. i keep reading about women getting 3-5 oz on five minutes. lo thatd be awesome considering when i go back to work im gonna need it

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
meladtke
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM

nope, you are normal. I never pumped out what i needed. once i went back to work i had to give my baby i think 1 bottle of formula and eventually it went up 2 bottles of formula. he drank 3 bottles a day while he was at day care. I nursed him every morning at at night.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM

YOU are normal. THEY are the unusual ones. Normal pump output is one half to two ounces total.

marinesweetie
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM

your normal. My dr said as long as your well hydrated you should get a good output.

MissiHampt
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM

No, you're totally normal.  People like me who can sit and pump 9 ounces at a time are the weird ones :-) 

Yes, it's handy being able to pump lots.....but sometimes I feel like I should change my name to Bessie and wear a bell around my neck....

celestegood
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I pumped when ds was in the hospital for months after his surgery.  I pumped 24 hours a day, every 2 hours, for ten minutes each time.  I got a few ounces out, and pumping too much can be bad for your breasts.  Just pump often, stay hydrated, and pump every two hours-for only 10 minutes, and you will get more out.  You can try eating oatmeal, and mother's tea.  Also, there's lots of things you can do to boost supply.  Have you tried pumping the other side while breastfeeding?

VintageWife
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

2 ounces is the normal amount. The women I know of that have gotten alot more have done so through expensive hospital-grade pumps. The average woman cannot afford a pump like that.

swesolek6
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:39 PM

not yet but i want to start soon. my son is 10 days old so i want to start storing in the freezer so when i go back to work i already have some stored up.i go back to work at 6 weeks.

Quoting celestegood:

I pumped when ds was in the hospital for months after his surgery.  I pumped 24 hours a day, every 2 hours, for ten minutes each time.  I got a few ounces out, and pumping too much can be bad for your breasts.  Just pump often, stay hydrated, and pump every two hours-for only 10 minutes, and you will get more out.  You can try eating oatmeal, and mother's tea.  Also, there's lots of things you can do to boost supply.  Have you tried pumping the other side while breastfeeding?

Daynaof3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:43 PM

You can also do breast massage before and during pumping and nipple stretching before. Pumping while you nurse first thing in the morning may get you a bit more too. Make sure to date and time the milk.

Quoting swesolek6:

not yet but i want to start soon. my son is 10 days old so i want to start storing in the freezer so when i go back to work i already have some stored up.i go back to work at 6 weeks.

Quoting celestegood:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:12 PM

1/2 oz to 2 oz in 15 min is the NORM...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)