Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Milk Storage

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:14 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have to go to a friends wedding in a few weeks and I still nurse my son on demand (I'm a SAHM). I have enough breastmilk frozen to give my parents when they are watch him but I am worried about being engorged at the wedding. I am going to take my pump and my car converter and pump in the car when I need to but my question is how am I going to store it until I get it to a freezer or give it to my son? The reception is at country club and there is no one that lives close that I could go store it in their freezer for a few hours until the wedding is over. I really don't want to have to dump the milk, but if I have no other way of storing it for a few hours then I'm going to have to. Any suggestions would be great.. Thanks :-)

Katie--AKA: Jaxon's Mommy

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Keep a cooler packed with ice in the trunk.

JaxonsMommy1130
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM
I thought of that.. will that keep the milk ok until I can freeze it?
Daynaof3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Breast milk is good at room temp for up to 10 hours(depending on how hot it will be, check CDC storage guidelines) so if it's just a few hours you can leave at room temp and freeze it later.

Heather881029
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I had to do the same thing when my best friend got married 2 summers ago.  The country club was nice enough to allow me to use the employee fridge to keep it in because it was 105 that day.  You could always call the country club and see if they could accomadate you in any way.  They may even has somewhere you can sit and pump rather than having to sit in the car.

Neeners1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:43 PM

10 hours? I was always told/read 4 hours.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Breast milk is good at room temp for up to 10 hours(depending on how hot it will be, check CDC storage guidelines) so if it's just a few hours you can leave at room temp and freeze it later.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

CafeMom Tickers

Daynaof3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

From CDC website:

Storage Duration of Fresh Human Milk for Use with Healthy Full Term Infants

Location Temperature Duration Comments
Countertop, table Room temperature (up to 77°F or 25°C) 6–8 hours Containers should be covered and kept as cool as possible; covering the container with a cool towel may keep milk cooler.
Insulated cooler bag 5-39°F or -15-4°C 24 hours Keep ice packs in contact with milk containers at all times, limit opening cooler bag.
Refrigerator 39°F or 4°C 5 days Store milk in the back of the main body of the refrigerator.
Freezer Store milk toward the back of the freezer, where temperature is most constant.  Milk stored for longer durations in the ranges listed is safe, but some of the lipids in the milk undergo degradation resulting in lower quality.
Freezer compartment of a refrigerator 5°F or -15°C 2 weeks
Freezer compartment of refrigerator with separate doors 0°F or -18°C 3–6 months
Chest or upright deep freezer -4°F or -20°C 6–12 months
Reference: Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. (2004) Clinical Protocol Number #8: Human Milk Storage Information for Home Use for Healthy Full Term Infants Adobe PDF file [PDF-125k]External Web Site Icon. Princeton Junction, New Jersey: Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. Available
Quoting Neeners1:

Quoting Daynaof3:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM

This is what I went by but once it went 10 hours and was just fine

Quoting Daynaof3:

From CDC website:

Storage Duration of Fresh Human Milk for Use with Healthy Full Term Infants

Location Temperature Duration Comments
Countertop, table Room temperature (up to 77°F or 25°C) 6–8 hours Containers should be covered and kept as cool as possible; covering the container with a cool towel may keep milk cooler.
Insulated cooler bag 5-39°F or -15-4°C 24 hours Keep ice packs in contact with milk containers at all times, limit opening cooler bag.
Refrigerator 39°F or 4°C 5 days Store milk in the back of the main body of the refrigerator.
Freezer Store milk toward the back of the freezer, where temperature is most constant.  Milk stored for longer durations in the ranges listed is safe, but some of the lipids in the milk undergo degradation resulting in lower quality.
Freezer compartment of a refrigerator 5°F or -15°C 2 weeks
Freezer compartment of refrigerator with separate doors 0°F or -18°C 3–6 months
Chest or upright deep freezer -4°F or -20°C 6–12 months
Reference: Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. (2004) Clinical Protocol Number #8: Human Milk Storage Information for Home Use for Healthy Full Term Infants Adobe PDF file [PDF-125k]External Web Site Icon. Princeton Junction, New Jersey: Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. Available
Quoting Neeners1:

Quoting Daynaof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)