Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Break time and Pumping place now federal law!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

Passed along from my boss via email with attachment: 

It’s official: with the passing of the health care reform reconciliation bill, the provision of reasonable break time and a place to express breast milk in the workplace is now federal law!

HR 3590 EAS/PP

SEC. 4207. REASONABLE BREAK TIME FOR NURSING MOTH

ERS.

Section 7 of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938

(29 U.S.C. 207) is amended by adding at the end the fol

lowing:

‘‘(r)(1) An employer shall provide—

‘‘(A) a reasonable break time for an employee to

express breast milk for her nursing child for 1 year

after the child’s birth each time such employee has

need to express the milk; and

‘‘(B) a place, other than a bathroom, that is

shielded from view and free from intrusion from co

workers and the public, which may be used by an em

ployee to express breast milk.

‘‘(2) An employer shall not be required to compensate

an employee receiving reasonable break time under para

graph (1) for any work time spent for such purpose.

‘‘(3) An employer that employs less than 50 employees

shall not be subject to the requirements of this subsection,

if such requirements would impose an undue hardship by

causing the employer significant difficulty or expense when

considered in relation to the size, financial resources, na

ture, or structure of the employer’s business.

‘‘(4) Nothing in this subsection shall preempt a State

law that provides greater protections to employees than the

protections provided for under this subsection.’’.

VerDate Nov 24 2008 09:39 Dec 29, 2009 Jkt 089200 PO 00000 Frm 01217 Fmt 6652 Sfmt 6203 E:\SENENR\H3590.EAS H3590

wwoods2 on DSK1DXX6B1PROD with BILLS

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermom8888
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Yeah!!! Something good from Health Care Reform!!!  This will make such a huge difference for so many moms!

kittymeri
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM

where can i find a government site to print this off of?

millerjess
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM

What a wonderful step in the right direction! I sure wish it applied to small businesses too. However this will be amazing for the hospitals, among other places, which (oddly enough) seem to be most resitant to allowing their nurses time to pump!

I would love to find the official so I could print it off too! This is amazing!

~ Mommy to: Madison (6.2.03)
My Angel Baby Alexander (4.26.06)
Jack (6.14.07)
Benjamin Lloyd (1.4.10)

Daynaof3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h3590enr.txt.pdf

that's the whole bill though

Quoting kittymeri:

where can i find a government site to print this off of?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM

WHen does it take affect?   I was told it would be 4 years from now

Daynaof3
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0320/Health-care-reform-bill-101-How-long-will-reform-take

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHen does it take affect?   I was told it would be 4 years from now

mommaslilman06
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM

thats for the first year of life tho, here i am still breastfeeding at almost 16 months and just started working again. thankfully my lowes is understanding and ill have a place to pump on days that i need to during my lunch on the days that i do work a full shift

Neeners1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:23 PM

this is such an amazing step forward! i've been fortunate enough to have a very supportive employer who encouraged the implementation of a Mothers' Room before the bill came about.

i'm very happy that (most) mothers no longer have to worry about being able to pump in the workplace!

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

CafeMom Tickers

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM

The hospital I had my kids at has a nice room set aside for employees to pump, I think they have one for each unit. I thought that was very cool, especially since I would LOVE to work there anyway. I am nervous though about getting my first job as a nurse, I start looking in May and I'm worried if I'll be able to pump enough with a nurse's work load. I know they usually barely take time to eat so I'm afraid everyone will hate me for needing to take breaks for nursing. Hopefully I'll get hired at a place like where my kids were born and it won't be an issue. I know the law is on my side but still....

Quoting millerjess:

What a wonderful step in the right direction! I sure wish it applied to small businesses too. However this will be amazing for the hospitals, among other places, which (oddly enough) seem to be most resitant to allowing their nurses time to pump!

I would love to find the official so I could print it off too! This is amazing!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Jaxonsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

The hospital I had my kids at has a nice room set aside for employees to pump, I think they have one for each unit. I thought that was very cool, especially since I would LOVE to work there anyway. I am nervous though about getting my first job as a nurse, I start looking in May and I'm worried if I'll be able to pump enough with a nurse's work load. I know they usually barely take time to eat so I'm afraid everyone will hate me for needing to take breaks for nursing. Hopefully I'll get hired at a place like where my kids were born and it won't be an issue. I know the law is on my side but still....

Dont be afraid!  I am a nurse and was when I had my son too.  Nurses are great at understanding the need to take that break.  There is always someone that will cover for you.  That being said i know some night shifts I worked when Jaxon was a baby I was so busy my pumping was late but I still got it in.  Being a nurse is great and nurses are great at understanding the benefit of your breastmilk!

Jaxon Ray 3-27-07toddler boy  Adalyn Jean 3-06-10baby girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)