Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottle or Sippy Cup? Help!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:36 PM
  • 7 Replies

My DD will be 7 months old next Saterday, I have to work so she is getting my milk via bottle, and I have started her on fruits and veggies, my MIL watches her durring the day, and for the past month she is lucky if she can get a full 5.5 oz bottle in her a day on a good day she will take 2 bottles, and when I am around her she eats for at least 15 mins and every two hours, (only every two hours since she will not take the bottle) This is my fist child, but it sounds like she is self weening her self off the bottle. and she needs milk during the day. do I give her a Sippy cup or will she not want to BF after realizing that she can get the milk much easier that way? or is there a sippy cup out there at will work? Someone told me that they found a sippy cup that the child really had to work for the milk but that was 5 years ago and they do not remember what brand it was. Please help me my DD is starting to get backed up becuase she is not getting enough milk and I am over being up every two hours with her! from day one she has sleep for 4 hours at night.

breastfeeding in love pink ribbon

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Actually the sippy cup is a BETTER choice than the bottle. The bottle is what would encourage permature weaning.

Cup...YES. ANY version she will take.

But...don't expect that to make her sleep. Nothing makes them sleep but their need to sleep. It's normal for her to wake as she has been. Her sleep pattern is 100% normal.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM

5.5 oz bottle may be too big that may be the issue too, but if your LO nurses enough times daily then smaller amounts of BM when working can be fine.

My son took 4 oz when I worked 8 hour days.  How many hows do you work?

The backup may be the solids more than the small amount of BM while youa re gone

HOw many times a day/night does she nurse?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

OH and sippies are fine, my sons till nrused and used sippies..he refused any bottles at 10 months and did straw sippies

Momforhealth
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I would encourage the cup....but I would begin with one meal same time everyday...then once she has done that for about 2 weeks...move onto the next feeding time.  It may take a while for baby to catch on...but she will get it.  Make sure she sits at the table with you while you and your family eats so she can watch what you do.  7-9 months they kinda begin a new stage too..so sleeping and feeding may change.  My oldest nursed every 2 hours for ever.  It does not last forever...do your best to enjoy this time together.

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Straw sippies always worked well for my children!

Owner/Moderator of these groups, please feel free to join!

AP MOMS     CRUNCHY    LLLCAFEMOM    BF MOMS    NATURAL PG 

Brookesmom10
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM

she use to nurse when i picked her up and before bed and once at night and once in the morning now its every 2 hours I work for a full 8 hours.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Quoting Brookesmom10:

she use to nurse when i picked her up and before bed and once at night and once in the morning now its every 2 hours I work for a full 8 hours.

I work a full 8 hours too, sounds like your LO is doing what my LO did, reverse cycling.  That means shes adjusted her schedule as far as when she nurses to fit when you arehome.  My son took 4 oz in my whole 8 hour day, he nursed at 4:30am, 6:30am then 3:30pm and on demand the rest of the evening..usually it was 6-7 nursings total a day and 4 oz of milk..AND his solids while I was gone.  Offer to nruse more in the morbings/evenings when you are home to get her to ease up on nighttime nursings.  I found I was ok witht he 4:30am nursing that he loved because he would doze back off so I could too, but he usually went from 9:30ish to 4:40ish without nursing when I offered more int he evenings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)