• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a small thing

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

I keep hearing women say that EBF can keep your child out of the hospital. I have been EBF 26+ months now my son has been far far more sick than my DD who only BF/FF for 4 months until I was no longer able to BF her.Ok that is my Small rant

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mezmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I only partially BF my first child for 2 months and then he only had bottles of formula because I just couldn't keep it up. He had made me super sore and I ended up getting the flu and just didn't feel like feeding him for a few days cause I was SOOOO sick so mom, who was taking care of him for me while hubby was taking care of me, had to give him formula. He seems like he's barely ever been sick. He's two and a half and finally got a small cold just a couple weeks ago.

I have twin newborns now that I am mostly BF and occassional bottle here and there.... and they've been sick at least 2-3 times already.   very frustrating.... but I'm going to try and keep BF but I think my milk isn't working right. LOL

emlosmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:05 PM

My daughter is 16 months old and just stopped breastfeeding.  She was in the hospitol when she was 2 months for pneumonia and again right after she turned 1.  She also has had numerous ear infections, whereas my other 2 who did not breast feed for near as long, never had a single one!  I know everyone says it helps keep them from getting sick....maybe they mean later in life! 

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Mine too, he's had three ear infections since January and my DD, now 10, is hardly ever sick and she was FF from about 6 weeks on.  My DS, has definitly been sick way more.  He goes back to the doc again tomorrow.

lifetimelove
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:21 PM

There's environmental factors (breastfeeding vs. formula) and there are genetic factors.  It sounds like you have a child that is far more prone to being sick.  If he hadn't been breastfed there's a very real possibility that he would have been much sicker.

My daughter has a number of health problems and she was EBF for almost 18 months.  But because of her feeding issues and her aspirating when she swallows she SHOULD have had pneumonia several times.  She didn't, and I believe that's because she was EBF.  It's the only explanation.  The doctors can't believe how strong her immune system is.  Sadly, they've never seen a baby with her problems exclusively breastfed past a couple months.

Quoting Athanasia:

I keep hearing women say that EBF can keep your child out of the hospital. I have been EBF 26+ months now my son has been far far more sick than my DD who only BF/FF for 4 months until I was no longer able to BF her.Ok that is my Small rant

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Breastfeeding is merely a risk reducer. It does NOT prevent illnesses. If your child drew a bad set of genetic cards, breastmilk won't change that.

Athanasia
by on Apr. 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

This is Athanasia's sister and i didnt breast feed any of my children due to medical reasons i had myself and they are perfectly healthy so altho breast feeding is good its not the best nor the perfect thing for all mothers. Some mothers have medical reasons why they cant and it dose not mean they are wrong for choosing to bottle feed instead of breast feeding.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 4, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Its a myth that BFing guarantees that the child will be less sick or that a FF baby will be ill all the time, what IS very much true is that BFing helps your child be THEIR best health.  SO if your FF child is healthy then its because she has a stronger immune system naturally and only would've been even stronger if BF more, if yu BF baby is sick often it only means that he would've been even more ill if not BF.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Quoting Athanasia:

This is Athanasia's sister and i didnt breast feed any of my children due to medical reasons i had myself and they are perfectly healthy so altho breast feeding is good its not the best nor the perfect thing for all mothers. Some mothers have medical reasons why they cant and it dose not mean they are wrong for choosing to bottle feed instead of breast feeding.

NO one has sad that moms that do not BF are bad mothers or have made bad choices, of course there are reasons that a mom can not BF, especially medical ones.

Healthy breastmilk is ALWAYS best unless a child has a medical condition like galactosemia, BM is always better than formula, natural is always better than synthetic, BUT there are circumstances where its better to use formula for the safety of all concerned.

Formula does not DOOM a child to death or illness, it just gives higher rates of illness and higher risks..risks are not 100%

owensmommy1122
by on Apr. 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Exactly! My son was breastfed (with no formula) for 27 months and he has had lots of problems....excema, allergies, asthma, ear infections, pnuemonia. If I didn't nurse him I do believe he would have had it way worse than he does.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Its a myth that BFing guarantees that the child will be less sick or that a FF baby will be ill all the time, what IS very much true is that BFing helps your child be THEIR best health.  SO if your FF child is healthy then its because she has a stronger immune system naturally and only would've been even stronger if BF more, if yu BF baby is sick often it only means that he would've been even more ill if not BF.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)