Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

me again, with a dipe question.

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok , DS is being weaned off formula until my domperidone gets here (hopefully in the next 7 days) I have been keeping charts for how much supplement and how much nursing he is doing in a day as well as a diaper chart. Now my question is in the last 10 days he has had a few days where he has had only about 3 diapers, but then the next couple days he will have 6 and it goes back and forth like that. Should I be giving him more supplement or should I just keep it at the amount he is getting now since some days he does fine on it.

Yesterday we only had 3 wets, today he has had 6 and he has had the same amount of formula and the same amount of nursing both days.

I also have a second question about pumping. Now that I am nursing him 90% of the time when I pump I only get drops, and today I pumped and he decided he wanted to eat right after but he screamed and sucked for 40 mins and acted like I was starving him, was he just fussy that it wasn't coming out like normal or could my breasts not keep up with the demand of pumping then nursing?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lifetimelove
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Quoting Haylee1113:

Ok , DS is being weaned off formula until my domperidone gets here (hopefully in the next 7 days) I have been keeping charts for how much supplement and how much nursing he is doing in a day as well as a diaper chart. Now my question is in the last 10 days he has had a few days where he has had only about 3 diapers, but then the next couple days he will have 6 and it goes back and forth like that. Should I be giving him more supplement or should I just keep it at the amount he is getting now since some days he does fine on it.

I'd stick with it unless he's acting dehydrated.  Are the 3 wet days heavy wets or light wets - there might be more in that diaper than you think.  I was surprised at how little 4 Tbsp changed the weight of a disposable diaper.

Yesterday we only had 3 wets, today he has had 6 and he has had the same amount of formula and the same amount of nursing both days.

He might not have gotten as much nursing on the 3 wet day.  Or there might have been more water in those diapers.  Are you counting poopy diapers too?!

I also have a second question about pumping. Now that I am nursing him 90% of the time when I pump I only get drops, and today I pumped and he decided he wanted to eat right after but he screamed and sucked for 40 mins and acted like I was starving him, was he just fussy that it wasn't coming out like normal or could my breasts not keep up with the demand of pumping then nursing?

Coincidence.  It might have taken a little longer to let down, but even that I'm not sure of.  Breasts don't empty out, the flow might slow down, but he'd have still been getting something, even if you're pumping.  He might just have been frustrated at the slow flow.

How many times a day are you nursing him?  How are you giving the supplements, and when?  That can impact it too.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM

He was just fussy because your breasts aren't as fast as the bottle.

I would NOT up the suppementing...it would achieve the opposite of what you're trying for.

Haylee1113
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Quoting lifetimelove:

Quoting Haylee1113:

I'd stick with it unless he's acting dehydrated.  Are the 3 wet days heavy wets or light wets - there might be more in that diaper than you think.  I was surprised at how little 4 Tbsp changed the weight of a disposable diaper.

they are light wets. I have the diapers with the line that turns blue when he pees and I change him as soon as it turns.

He might not have gotten as much nursing on the 3 wet day.  Or there might have been more water in those diapers.  Are you counting poopy diapers too?!

I count all diapers even poopies.

Coincidence.  It might have taken a little longer to let down, but even that I'm not sure of.  Breasts don't empty out, the flow might slow down, but he'd have still been getting something, even if you're pumping.  He might just have been frustrated at the slow flow.

How many times a day are you nursing him?  How are you giving the supplements, and when?  That can impact it too.

I nurse him 8-14 times a day for different lengths. and he gets tommee tippie bottles. He gets his supplements at his 2 night feedings and i pump while he gets it.

Haylee1113
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

He was just fussy because your breasts aren't as fast as the bottle.

I would NOT up the suppementing...it would achieve the opposite of what you're trying for.

good. now that im a down to so little formula a day it makes me feel lousy to think about giving him more. I want my milk to be all he needs.

lifetimelove
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Sounds like you're doing everything right.  Stick with it unless he starts showing signs of dehyration.  If he's not getting QUITE enough those days, it's okay, it's a temporary problem that will soon be fixed with the Dom, hopefully.  You don't want to up the supplements unless absolutely necessary (dehydration).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)