• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

constipated baby

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

my ds is almost 5 months old ebf and for the first time dident poo yeasterday r today. he just makes grunting sounds and when i check its only a itty bitty bit. he nurses on demand so anyone know what it could be?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lifetimelove
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:23 PM

It's not constipation unless the poop is hard.  I'm an expert on constipated babies.  lol

Breastfed babies can go long periods of time without pooping.  Even having to "work" at it isn't constipation.  Unless the poop is hard, he's not constipated.

jeng1980
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Are the itty bitty amounts hard and dry looking?  If not, then you are fine and he's not constipated.  It's normal for BF baby's bowel habits to change at any given time.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

luna08
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM

now it looks more like a quarter sized yellow stain with a few peble sized bits there not hard but there not really soft either

Quoting jeng1980:

Are the itty bitty amounts hard and dry looking?  If not, then you are fine and he's not constipated.  It's normal for BF baby's bowel habits to change at any given time.

jeng1980
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM

It sounds like his BMs are just firming up.  It's totally normal.  Pay attention to his wet diapers.  If he is getting 6-8 a day, he is good to go.  The reason I say that is it could be VERY mild dehydration.  If he's not getting at least 6 a day, I may would increase nursings for a little while.  There are moms on here that know more about this than me.  I have increased feedings for a few days with my LO so that he would go to the bathroom.  Breastmilk is the world's best laxative for baby but if you need to, you could give a little bit of the little tummies laxative.  I really don't think you have anything to be concerned about at this point though.

Quoting luna08:

now it looks more like a quarter sized yellow stain with a few peble sized bits there not hard but there not really soft either

Quoting jeng1980:

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

luna08
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM

yea lol ironicaly he just had a nice big blowout hahaha

Quoting jeng1980:

It sounds like his BMs are just firming up.  It's totally normal.  Pay attention to his wet diapers.  If he is getting 6-8 a day, he is good to go.  The reason I say that is it could be VERY mild dehydration.  If he's not getting at least 6 a day, I may would increase nursings for a little while.  There are moms on here that know more about this than me.  I have increased feedings for a few days with my LO so that he would go to the bathroom.  Breastmilk is the world's best laxative for baby but if you need to, you could give a little bit of the little tummies laxative.  I really don't think you have anything to be concerned about at this point though.

Quoting luna08:

Quoting jeng1980:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)