• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What IS going on here....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM
  • 4 Replies

Logan is 8 weeks old today.  He's been an amazing nurser from the start and has the weight gain to prove it.....8p 2 oz at birth, 13p 8oz on Tuesday.  I produce milk like a professional dairy cow, enough for him as well as enough to donate to a couple for their adopted baby.  I go to a support group once a week and they weigh the babies before and after feeding so I know he takes a little over 4 oz on average per feeding and this is from one side in 10 minutes or less. 

Today and yesterday it seems like he just hasn't wanted to eat as much.    3 minutes here and there and he didn't even eat when he went to bed.  I was feeling a little full just about 10 minutes ago so I went and pumped 12 ounces, even though I don't usually do the last pumping for another hour or so and typically I get 8-9 ounces. Diaper count is still within the acceptable range, but less than normal for him.

Logan seems fine....well, as fine as a baby can be who cries constantly anyway.  He's been no worse than usual.  But why would he feed less? 

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky & Logan.  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Hendrix07
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Change is weather? Warmer makes people consume less... I would not worry unless you see less diapers than abt 8... And when they begin their growth spurt (a possibility) their feeding patterns change which will leave your boobs a little confused but they will figure it out! ;) keep offering!!
lifetimelove
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Because he's human.  =)

Honestly, with such an oversupply, he might be put off due to overactive letdown.  Do you block feed him?

Quoting MissiHampt:

Logan is 8 weeks old today.  He's been an amazing nurser from the start and has the weight gain to prove it.....8p 2 oz at birth, 13p 8oz on Tuesday.  I produce milk like a professional dairy cow, enough for him as well as enough to donate to a couple for their adopted baby.  I go to a support group once a week and they weigh the babies before and after feeding so I know he takes a little over 4 oz on average per feeding and this is from one side in 10 minutes or less. 

Today and yesterday it seems like he just hasn't wanted to eat as much.    3 minutes here and there and he didn't even eat when he went to bed.  I was feeling a little full just about 10 minutes ago so I went and pumped 12 ounces, even though I don't usually do the last pumping for another hour or so and typically I get 8-9 ounces. Diaper count is still within the acceptable range, but less than normal for him.

Logan seems fine....well, as fine as a baby can be who cries constantly anyway.  He's been no worse than usual.  But why would he feed less? 

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

MissiHampt
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Sure do.  And the letdown is enough to drip steadily but not enough to spray, ever.  He keeps up with it just fine.  But I block feed because I want to make sure there's no foremilk/hindmilk imbalance going on.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Because he's human.  =)

Honestly, with such an oversupply, he might be put off due to overactive letdown.  Do you block feed him?

Quoting MissiHampt:

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky & Logan.  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

redderbedder
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM

This sounds identical to my daughter.  I dont know if this is good advice, but i fed her when i felt full, or when it was her "typical time", and if she didnt eat much, id pump and save it.  She didnt seem bothered, and is now eating normal 2 days later.    I figured - they get growth spurts and eat constantly, so its not crazy that she would have a growth plateau and eat less. 

hope that helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)