Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They fed him formula (kind of long) *UPDATE*

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:32 PM
  • 41 Replies

Ok, so I work part time, and Trent goes to an in-home daycare Monday from 7am-5pm and Thurs 8am-4pm while we're waiting for a spot at the base day care. Well, after this Monday, I was told he didn't have any more milk stored there, so before I left for work today I let him nurse, plus bought 2 oz that I pumped the night before. When I dropped him off, I let them know that I would be bringing more pumped milk by on my lunch break and to call me if there were any problems. Well, I went by about 130pm with the milk, and when I went to give him a kiss, his breath smelled different. Like formula. So I asked them when was the last time he ate, and was told, "Well, he gobbled up the milk you left and after he woke up from a nap he seemed hungry so I gave him some formula and he gobbled that up, too." They gave him 3 oz of formula! I asked why they didn't call me to come by (I've left work before to nurse him) and she said, "Oh, I didn't want to bother you at work." But I TOLD her to call me. Then when I went to pick him up after work, I double checked that he was out of milk, and found out that there was one in the freezer AND the one that I bought by at lunch. There was no need for them to give him that formula. Then I also found out that instead of disposing the drop-ins that I've been giving, she rinses them out and re-uses them. I am so mad with this lady, but we can't afford anything else. I've already given them a piece of my mind once before because he would only go through 3 diapers while he was with them and I thought my supply was dropping until I realized they were letting him sleep all day and probably only checking it when he woke up. I don't know what to do..I can't stop working because we need the extra income. And we can't afford a regular day care off base because they are crazy expensive and the one's we can afford don't have any part time openings, just full week which would be a waste of money.

I called the CDC (Child Daycare Center) on base, and when they called back it was to let me know there would be an opening April 19! We have an appt this Wed to fill out paperwork. This will be soooo much better, since it's military and the fee will based on my husbands rank and they have to adhere to all guidelines! Thank you all for the support and advice. It works out perfect, because according to the contract we signed with the in-home daycare we have to give 2 weeks notice to pull Trent out. And you better believe I'm going to be popping in that place when they don't expect me so I can know what's really going on with my baby!! And for those that asked, we live on the Air Force Academy. We got here Dec 08.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaKalila
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM

First off, I'm sorry! Second I would flip if they did it to me...

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM

All I can say, is I am sorry. That really stinks, hopefully your base daycare will come through soon. Obviously the ideal situation is getting Trent out of there pronto, but I understand the need to pay bills.

Since "giving her a piece of your mind"  didn't seem to help, have you tried manipulating the lady with sweetness and then guilt? Or I'd even consider flat out lying, and go to her the next time, almost crying telling her how Trent had terrible pain and gas that evening, and ask about the formula she used and blame it. Good luck.

aidanandjackson
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Aww mama I feel ya! I know how frustrating it is! I had that problem with my older son. We were broke so I had to get a job and couldn't afford daycare so my ex's mother watched him and was soooo against BFing. Anyways, I ended up having a friend take care of DS because I was determined to BF! Where do you live? Do you have any friends or relatives that can keep him? It's only two days a week. That lady should not be running a daycare if she can't respect parents' wishes!! Just remember, keep pumping no matter what he is getting fed and your supply won't diminish. Once you get into that other daycare, you hopefully won't have to worry about this anymore... ((HUGS))

JamesAndMe
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Seriously?  I'd rather live on tuna fish and PBJ than have my son treated that way.

You live on a base so your housing cannot be that expensive.   A friend of my family has 4 kids and a wife and lives on a military salary.

I don't mean to bash you, but, is there something you just aren't willing to give up?  I mean.  I would forgo tv, cell phones, everything to keep my son safe.

These people are incompetent.  What if something bad happens?  What if he needs CPR?  What if he has an allergic reaction or breaks a limb?  Will they be morons and do the wrong thing.. if they can't even follow instructions on giving breast milk .. how do you expect them to know anything else?

This would really make me incredibly paranoid. 

If people caring for my son could not follow simple instructions I just simply would not put my child in that situation anymore.  Sorry if it isn't what you want to hear.

Can you either forgo luxuries and quit your job.. or get a cheap babysitter or something?  There are a lot of mothers that babysit one or two kids/babies and do not charge much to do it....

tashntim
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Quoting Marti123:

All I can say, is I am sorry. That really stinks, hopefully your base daycare will come through soon. Obviously the ideal situation is getting Trent out of there pronto, but I understand the need to pay bills.

Since "giving her a piece of your mind"  didn't seem to help, have you tried manipulating the lady with sweetness and then guilt? Or I'd even consider flat out lying, and go to her the next time, almost crying telling her how Trent had terrible pain and gas that evening, and ask about the formula she used and blame it. Good luck.

I usually am sweet! lol. My husband said he's going to talk to her on Monday when he drops Trent off. He's a big guy, so people tend to take him a lot more seriously than me! Thanks.

tashntim
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Quoting aidanandjackson:

Aww mama I feel ya! I know how frustrating it is! I had that problem with my older son. We were broke so I had to get a job and couldn't afford daycare so my ex's mother watched him and was soooo against BFing. Anyways, I ended up having a friend take care of DS because I was determined to BF! Where do you live? Do you have any friends or relatives that can keep him? It's only two days a week. That lady should not be running a daycare if she can't respect parents' wishes!! Just remember, keep pumping no matter what he is getting fed and your supply won't diminish. Once you get into that other daycare, you hopefully won't have to worry about this anymore... ((HUGS))

We are stationed in Colorado. All our family is in VA and OH. I'm going to start calling around again tomorrow for alternatives. I've asked everyone that I work with to look around for me, but so far nothing =/

Riahsmom1
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I agree with most of this.  Could you maybe work at a daycare and have him enrolled there?  I totally understand why you're pissed, what if he was allergic to formula?  What an idiot!!!

Quoting JamesAndMe:

Seriously?  I'd rather live on tuna fish and PBJ than have my son treated that way.

You live on a base so your housing cannot be that expensive.   A friend of my family has 4 kids and a wife and lives on a military salary.

I don't mean to bash you, but, is there something you just aren't willing to give up?  I mean.  I would forgo tv, cell phones, everything to keep my son safe.

These people are incompetent.  What if something bad happens?  What if he needs CPR?  What if he has an allergic reaction or breaks a limb?  Will they be morons and do the wrong thing.. if they can't even follow instructions on giving breast milk .. how do you expect them to know anything else?

If people caring for my son could not follow simple instructions I just simply would not put my child in that situation anymore.  Sorry if it isn't what you want to hear.

Can you either forgo luxuries and quit your job.. or get a cheap babysitter or something?  There are a lot of mothers that babysit one or two kids/babies and do not charge much to do it....

having a baby

Positive Parents..........Right this way:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/107129

icon

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.

This group is for moms who want their children to be respectful and well-rounded individuals without sacrificing their individuality and maintaining a great relationship with them throughout it all!

tashntim
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Quoting JamesAndMe:

Trust me, I've thought about everything that you've brought up. Even before the milk incident. I've been on my husband to let me be a SAHM, but he doesn't support it at all. He knows that I'm on the verge of pulling Trent out of this daycare, regardless of how mad it makes him. I'm calling the daycare facility on base tomorrow to see if they can give me any referrals for temporary care so we'll see how that works.

All of my check goes to paying off student loans/debt while my husbands check goes to more debt/bills/car payment/insurance. We don't have luxuries yet, lol. And I didn't think you were bashing me, just speaking your mind.

mezmom
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:18 AM

there's no one close like family or friends that could help out? My mom usually watches my kids and that helps out a lot.

I'm sorry to hear what they did. Doesn't sound like a very good day care if they can't listen and follow instructions on how you'd like your child cared for. I'd keep my eyes open for something else.

JamesAndMe
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Quoting tashntim:

Quoting JamesAndMe:

Trust me, I've thought about everything that you've brought up. Even before the milk incident. I've been on my husband to let me be a SAHM, but he doesn't support it at all. He knows that I'm on the verge of pulling Trent out of this daycare, regardless of how mad it makes him. I'm calling the daycare facility on base tomorrow to see if they can give me any referrals for temporary care so we'll see how that works.

All of my check goes to paying off student loans/debt while my husbands check goes to more debt/bills/car payment/insurance. We don't have luxuries yet, lol. And I didn't think you were bashing me, just speaking your mind.

Crappy.  I hate debt.  I'm a great cook/butcher and my SO is a mechanic/jack of all trades so we barter for stuff so we don't have to have debt. lol.

You could always call and re-negotiate the payments on your varying debt.  Student loans have hardship policies that usually allow you to re-negotiate the payment amounts.   Credit card companies almost always will re-negotiate payments if you tell them you might just stop paying on it if they don't.

I know what you mean about not having luxuries..  I'm a SAHM and we have 56k and a track phone instead of cell phone (it's for emergencies and I really do believe they are necessary.. they're only 15$ a month) so I can stay home.   (Just an after-thought!   These --ARE-- luxuries. lol.  BUT HEY.. even most of the stinking Amish people around here have cell phones!)

I think you should definitely pull your kid and find something else if you really just can not ditch the 2 days of work.

It also would make me worried if my son were sleeping all day and not getting enough diaper changes.   What is she doing to make them sleep all day.. ?

I'm glad you didn't see me as bashing more just worried. ;)  Sometimes I come acrossed wrong when I'm really worried about someone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)