Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping question (am I doing too much)

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:36 AM
  • 12 Replies

I work Sunday - Thursday 3 - 11:30 pm.  I usually pump at 4:30 , 7, and 9:30.  I get 30 minutes eat time.  My supply had gone down when I pump, I usually only get a total of 2 - 3 oz each time(I used to get more).  So I am ranging from bringing home about 8 oz on average.  I used to come home with 12 -16oz each night (at most and I know I was lucky)

Yesterday, I got stuck on a call for 2 hours so I missed my first break (430).  I was not able to pump until 630.  I got 8 oz when I pumped then.  Then I pumped at 9:30 and I got another 5 oz. 

It seems that if I wait then I get more milk and I am still able to bring home what I was before.  Am I pumping too much too soon now that he is 4 months?  I feel that if I pump at the 2 hour mark that not enough milk has come in, but if I wait longer then I get more (and I know that is obvious), but if I pump every 2 hours I only get 3oz each time.  If I wait, I get at least 5 or 6oz EACH time.  Should I only pump at 4:30 and then 9:30?  I leave my house at 1:30 to get to work at 3.  So here is my schedule if I confused anyone:

1:00pm (feed the baby before I leave home)

4:30 pump 2 - 3 oz lately

7:00 pump 2- 3 oz

9:30 pump 2oz lately

I know at night supply goes down, he is 4 months and is still only having breast milk.  Sorry if I confused anyone.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sktrowb
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM

how often does he eat when your gone? When i was working (my mom had my lo) I would have her call me and let me know when she ate so i was pumping just like if she was eating. If he is only eating 2x while your at work I would only pumo 2x.

Naomshi
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:44 AM

He eats at 4:30, 6:30 and 8:30...he eats 3 oz each time. 

Daisymae6
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM

you are getting about the same amount per hour either way. it's best to stay on the 2.5-3 hour schedule for consistency.

if you feel like you'd like to get more then take 2 or 3 consecutive days when you are not working and do a power-pumping session on each of those days at a time when you would normally be pumping at work.  power pumping is when you pump for 10 minutes, break for ten minutes (drink a glass of water) pump again for 10 minutes, rest for 10.... do this for an hour and end with a pumping, try to drink water during 2 of your rests... you should get 4 10 minute sessions during that hour. 

also, try to nurse as often as your baby will nurse during those days as well as maybe tandem pumping while baby is eating a few times per day. It's a lot of work for a day or two butbasically what you are doing is telling your body that you are demanding more (power pumping roughly mimics your baby's "cluster feeding{") and that it needs to up the supply.

hope this helps, it always helped me when i was working. :)

sktrowb
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Are you getting as much milk as he is eating?

DelennDax
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:55 AM

BUMP!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Generally the less you remove milk the less you make milk in hte LONG run.  Yes yuo may get more now, but less removal and less stimulation means less milk made.

My expereience was that over time milk expression amounts go down and by adding MORE sessions I was able to raise supply but not a HUGE amount...I started spaced out sessions in the beginning because of the same reason as you, got more when I waited longer, but I really think that sabotaged me.

Naomshi
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Quoting sktrowb:

Some days yes and some days no.  I pump and he drinks that milk the next day.  There are a couple times a week when my husband has to use some frozen milk. 

Naomshi
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Some days yes and some day no.

I pump at work and then the next day that is what he drinks (so it is not frozen).  Sometimes my husband has to use a bag of frozen milk. This happens about 2 times a week.

Quoting sktrowb:

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Quoting Naomshi:

I work Sunday - Thursday 3 - 11:30 pm.  I usually pump at 4:30 , 7, and 9:30.  I get 30 minutes eat time.  My supply had gone down when I pump, I usually only get a total of 2 - 3 oz each time(I used to get more).  So I am ranging from bringing home about 8 oz on average.  I used to come home with 12 -16oz each night (at most and I know I was lucky)

Yep.

Yesterday, I got stuck on a call for 2 hours so I missed my first break (430).  I was not able to pump until 630.  I got 8 oz when I pumped then.  Then I pumped at 9:30 and I got another 5 oz. 

I would expect that. But it's NOT a habit to get in. You don't WANT this happening because the milk factory gets the message to slopw production.

It seems that if I wait then I get more milk and I am still able to bring home what I was before.  Am I pumping too much too soon now that he is 4 months? 

No. That schedule remains in place toill you decide to wean from pumping. If you spread those sessions out you will find yourself pumping less. FREQUENCY is more important than amount. The less you pump, the less ytour body will make per session. You got a lot ONCE because your body was trying to figure out what was changing.

I feel that if I pump at the 2 hour mark that not enough milk has come in, but if I wait longer then I get more (and I know that is obvious), but if I pump every 2 hours I only get 3oz each time.  If I wait, I get at least 5 or 6oz EACH time.  Should I only pump at 4:30 and then 9:30?  I leave my house at 1:30 to get to work at 3.  So here is my schedule if I confused anyone:

1:00pm (feed the baby before I leave home)

4:30 pump 2 - 3 oz lately

7:00 pump 2- 3 oz

9:30 pump 2oz lately

PERFECT. Change NOTHING or you're shooting yourself in the foot.

I know at night supply goes down, he is 4 months and is still only having breast milk.  Sorry if I confused anyone.

The more you pump, the more you make. The less you pump....the less you will make and then you have to add sessions back in.

CHANGE NOTHING. Nothing is broken but your idea will break it. Please leave it alone.

bethany169
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I agree.  After the first few weeks back at work, I actually added a session because my production started to fall off.  In the beginning, your body is still producing what it thinks it needs so you will get more when you pump less.  But very quickly, your body gets the message that it doesn't need as much, and it starts making less.  I know it's hard, I pumped for 13 months, at least 3 times a day--my pump was like a third arm, a part of me :)  But it is SO worth it, keep up the great work!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Generally the less you remove milk the less you make milk in hte LONG run.  Yes yuo may get more now, but less removal and less stimulation means less milk made.

My expereience was that over time milk expression amounts go down and by adding MORE sessions I was able to raise supply but not a HUGE amount...I started spaced out sessions in the beginning because of the same reason as you, got more when I waited longer, but I really think that sabotaged me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)