Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm glad I don't have to worry about Cow's milk!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM
  • 5 Replies

I find this article irritating for so many reasons. "..ditch the breastpump" ?? and if you're looking for the proper nutrition for you LO and finding it difficult it's because they should be BREASTFEEDING! Check out the article here: http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-nutrition/milk-for-toddlers.aspx?xid=nl_YourDailyNewsletterfromWhattoExpect_20100419

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MotherofIreland
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM

They were just letting those know that if they are getting sick of pumping (I hated pumping plus I couldn't express near what she needed at the time) or don't want to shell out at least $12 a can for formula, a much cheaper alternative is cow's milk.  I don't think the article was even aimed at those breastfeeding, just pumping or giving formula. 

I don't like how whole milk isn't the standard anymore.  Whole milk isn't making kids fat, lack of exercise and a crappy diet are.  I love whole milk (although I drink skim).  My 3 year old is still drinking it and will continue to.  Plus it's great to cook with.

eema.gray
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM

We only use whole milk in this house.  I also only buy it powdered (NIDO, a hispanic Nestle brand) makes a whole powdered milk in 13 qt cans.  I love it because I can control portions in this house MUCH better using the powder.  If I was buying liquid milk, we'd go through about four gallons a week.  With powder, we go through about a gallon and a half.

The other problem with toddlers and milk is that their parents don't know what a correct portion size is.  Four ounces.  That's a full toddler serving of milk.  Until I found that one out, my toddler was drinking four EIGHT OUNCE cups of milk a day.  Rather an embaressing day for me, lol.  He's down to one sippy (8 ounces) a day now.

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM

We're weaning ourselves off of cows milk. After thinking long & hard about it & talking with my husabnd it's jsut strange that we are drinking another animal's breastmilk. We'll drink almond milk, since we don't drink much milk anyway & Harrison gets all he needs from me so we'll be good.  I haven't read the article closely(skimmed it) but I never understood why a kid was magically ready at 12 months, some people act like if you try the day before they turn 1 it's soooo bad but magically the next day they are ready? weird.

kemclaughlin
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I was talking to my sister about this same thing.  There is nothing magic about their first birthday that makes cow's milk, honey, peanut butter, or any of the other forbidden foods safe.  If someone wants to try it, great, but I would rather be sure that they can tolerate it, or that it won't make them sick first. 

owensmom09
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM

haha, yeah it is pretty weird to think that some cow, or a bunch of strange cows out there are nourishing children with their milk. I read an article once called, "Are Cows the new Wet Nurses?" lol. I guess they are. Don't get me wrong i don't mean to offend anyone i just think it's a strange custom that had become the "Norm" in the U.S and has replaced Breastfeeding (which is the natural way for humans to feed their offspring) I mean we ARE mammals! It's just so funny and typically "human" of us to deny nature and enforce some bizzarro magical day that babies can start suckling at cow's udders.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)