Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this self weaning?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:42 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am a first time breast feeding mom...my DD is about 6.5 months and lately she has been eating less and less at every feeding. She is more interested in playing or looking around. She is also VERY into solid foods. I don't know if this is a normal of a 6.5 month old or if she is loosing interest in nursing. She eats about 5-10 mins every 2-2.5 hours and then goes 8pm-5am (at 5am has a less then 5 min snack) then back to bed until 7am....I can't get her to stay on longer she just pushes away from me and tries to crawl off my lap. It was suggested to me to try and push her to 3-4 hours so she will be more hungry and eat more but how are you supposed to tell a baby that has been on demand feeding her whole life...no I am not going to feed you now...cry and be hungry...that just DOES not work for me.

My oldest I did not breastfeed so I am new to all of this. My plan was to nurse at least for 1 year and then switch to cows milk. I have enough pumped and stored for about 2 months and I really don't want to buy formula. Of course worse case senerio if she did not want to nurse anymore I would pump and bottle feed....

She loves her sippy cup and I was thinking I could put my milk in there....opinions....suggestions.....THANK YOU

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Neeners1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM

this has been happening to me, as well, with my 5 month old....

i don't think it's self-weaning... at least i hope not because i am sooooo not ready to be a prisoner to the pump.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

CafeMom Tickers

SabrinaL
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM

At this age they are easily distracted.  That would account for her playing or looking around.  Try to find a place where there isn't any or little distraction for her.  She could be eating enough in the 5-10 mins that she nurses and that is why she doesn't stay on longer.  As long as she is having enough dirty (wet and dirty) dipes then she is fine.  I would still nurse on demand.  I agree that not feeding just to try to space feedings out is rediculous and not needed.  Also sometimes when babies are teething they go on a nursing strike and nurse less but after that passes they will pick right back up.  That has been my experience anyway.  I do not think she is weaning.

Neeners1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM

ahhhhh that would definitely explain my little munchkin!

Quoting SabrinaL:

At this age they are easily distracted.  That would account for her playing or looking around.  Try to find a place where there isn't any or little distraction for her.  She could be eating enough in the 5-10 mins that she nurses and that is why she doesn't stay on longer.  As long as she is having enough dirty (wet and dirty) dipes then she is fine.  I would still nurse on demand.  I agree that not feeding just to try to space feedings out is rediculous and not needed.  Also sometimes when babies are teething they go on a nursing strike and nurse less but after that passes they will pick right back up.  That has been my experience anyway.  I do not think she is weaning.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

CafeMom Tickers

IloveNix
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

This is all normal stuff. Feeding habits change as the baby ages. She is absolutely not self weaning, do not worry! You may just have to adjust with her!

I am breastfeeding 9 month old twins and one of them is exactly like your daughter. He prefers baby food and is more interested in playing then eating.

For the first year of life your milk is her main source of nutrition, baby food is for learning!

I stopped giving my son baby food except once a day and limited the amount.  He now nurses more often, but not for as long. He has been this way for 2 months and he is still slowly gaining weight and has plenty of diapers!

lisa91181
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

The area with little distraction suggestion is fantastic in theory except I have a 2.5 year old that follows me around the house like a shadow and usually the little one it watching the big one do everything lol

Quoting SabrinaL:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
SabrinaL
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I understand.  I have a 3 year old and we sit down and read a book together while I nurse.  It is pretty easy to get her to sit still though while I am nursing as she is quite the little mommy and wants to be near her brother all the time.  Sometimes she sits and breastfeeds her baby dolls.  It is so cute.

Quoting lisa91181:

The area with little distraction suggestion is fantastic in theory except I have a 2.5 year old that follows me around the house like a shadow and usually the little one it watching the big one do everything lol

Quoting SabrinaL:

lifetimelove
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Totally normal, babies don't self-wean before a year.  However, they DO become VERY effecient nursers.  My son never nursed for more than 5 minutes by the time he was 6 months, unless he was falling asleep.  They can get a good 5-6 ounces in 5 minutes, no joke.

Keep feeding her on demand, you're doing fine.  She's totally normal.

Just make sure you are nursing before solids.  =)

Quoting lisa91181:

I am a first time breast feeding mom...my DD is about 6.5 months and lately she has been eating less and less at every feeding. She is more interested in playing or looking around. She is also VERY into solid foods. I don't know if this is a normal of a 6.5 month old or if she is loosing interest in nursing. She eats about 5-10 mins every 2-2.5 hours and then goes 8pm-5am (at 5am has a less then 5 min snack) then back to bed until 7am....I can't get her to stay on longer she just pushes away from me and tries to crawl off my lap. It was suggested to me to try and push her to 3-4 hours so she will be more hungry and eat more but how are you supposed to tell a baby that has been on demand feeding her whole life...no I am not going to feed you now...cry and be hungry...that just DOES not work for me.

My oldest I did not breastfeed so I am new to all of this. My plan was to nurse at least for 1 year and then switch to cows milk. I have enough pumped and stored for about 2 months and I really don't want to buy formula. Of course worse case senerio if she did not want to nurse anymore I would pump and bottle feed....

She loves her sippy cup and I was thinking I could put my milk in there....opinions....suggestions.....THANK YOU

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

Mom71307
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Cut back on solids.  NO SOLIDS UNTIL AFTER nursing and it should be a good nursing session... not a snack.  Only offer solids after she has nursed really really well so that she goes back to nursing more.  My son is also 6 1/2 months but he is not on solids at all.  Although, he has been cutting back on nursing some... he is distracted more now but I know he is getting what he really needs since he is only on breastmilk from the tap!

cmiller83
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I have a 3 yr old as well that is non mobile and really has issues with me not picking her up at times.....

Maybe get a coloring book out or if you have the money one of those coloring mats with the water pens that won't color the floor. Make a couple of activities that need little to no supervision "nursing activities" so your little one is occupied and quiet(hopefully :p) while you nurse.

My DD sounds JUST like yours and she is now 9 months old...it has gotten better but not really.

Quoting SabrinaL:

I understand.  I have a 3 year old and we sit down and read a book together while I nurse.  It is pretty easy to get her to sit still though while I am nursing as she is quite the little mommy and wants to be near her brother all the time.  Sometimes she sits and breastfeeds her baby dolls.  It is so cute.

Quoting lisa91181:

Quoting SabrinaL:

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Quoting lisa91181:

I am a first time breast feeding mom...my DD is about 6.5 months and lately she has been eating less and less at every feeding. She is more interested in playing or looking around. She is also VERY into solid foods.

Self weanign doesn't happen suddenly and doesn't happen before a year.

I don't know if this is a normal of a 6.5 month old or if she is loosing interest in nursing. She eats about 5-10 mins every 2-2.5 hours and then goes 8pm-5am (at 5am has a less then 5 min snack) then back to bed until 7am....I can't get her to stay on longer she just pushes away from me and tries to crawl off my lap. It was suggested to me to try and push her to 3-4 hours so she will be more hungry and eat more but how are you supposed to tell a baby that has been on demand feeding her whole life...no I am not going to feed you now...cry and be hungry...that just DOES not work for me.

You are correct there. Tell me when she get sthe solids"? After nursing, I hope? If not, change it right now. Solids are an afterthought...if she gerts a teaspoon a day that's dandy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)