Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP: Baby Scared to Nurse

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

Yesterday, my son bit me several times.  Each time, I pulled him off and said "No!" firmly, and he acted like it scared him a litle each time.  He would make a scared face and cry every time.

Well, usually ahe nurses at least a couple times a night.  He did not nurse all night last night.  He nursed briefly this morning while he was still half asleep at around 7:00, but now it is about 1:00 pm.  He has not eaten anything since this morning and is refusing to nurse.  He just throws a huge fit and cries each time I try.

He is 11 months old so I could give him something else, but I figure he will BF if he gets too hungry.  Should I feed the poor baby something else?  I don't know what to do.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mywonderyears
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM

you can offer solids if you want, but what i would do is pick him up and talk to him softly, for a few minutes and then offer the breast.

SabrinaL
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I haven't experienced that first hand but I agree that he will eat if he is hungry enough.  Babies will not let themselves starve.  You can offer solids if you want.  For me personally I would not I would offer the breast and only the breast.  Could he have a tooth that is coming in?  Maybe that could explain why he is biting and also the nursing strike.  Just a thought.

lifetimelove
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM

He's probably teething (and that was contributing to the biting).  Just keep offering, if he bites again, maybe say "no biting" more gently and then just put him down.  He'll nurse again.  =)

Also, pay attention to what he does before he bites - sometimes you can detatch them before they bite (they tend to do this either as they start or when they're finished), and then you don't have to worry about getting bit or telling him no.

Quoting ch-hay:

Yesterday, my son bit me several times.  Each time, I pulled him off and said "No!" firmly, and he acted like it scared him a litle each time.  He would make a scared face and cry every time.

Well, usually ahe nurses at least a couple times a night.  He did not nurse all night last night.  He nursed briefly this morning while he was still half asleep at around 7:00, but now it is about 1:00 pm.  He has not eaten anything since this morning and is refusing to nurse.  He just throws a huge fit and cries each time I try.

He is 11 months old so I could give him something else, but I figure he will BF if he gets too hungry.  Should I feed the poor baby something else?  I don't know what to do.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

ch-hay
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.  I also did not want to give him solids.  I went ahead and pumped and gave him a bottle because I was crying and starting to worry about him since it had been so many hours since he ate.  So I might offer some solids now that he has just had a bottle.  I just hope he does not keep this behavior up.  I did try talking softly to him and cuddling him, etc. so he would feel like he was not going to get yelled at, but that hasn't worked so far.  He cries every time I try to offer the breast, but then he was also crying every time I put him down.  He does have a couple of teeth coming in, so I am sure that is part of what started the biting.

I am pretty vigilant about anticipating his biting, but he kept trying to bite me before he even latched on.  So he would bite me as soon as I put him to the breast.  Then after the first couple of times, he bit me really soft and then looked at me curiously like he wanted to see what would happen.  Then I told him no again, and he would cry.  I am wondering now if he was even biting me those times I perceived as "soft bites" or if he was just trying to see what would happen when he put his mouth to the breast and was taking his time getting ready to latch on.

I just feel so bad. 

mywonderyears
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM

dont feel bad, i think you did right. i always told my dd "no" and if she did it again id put her down. feeding overwith. then id try next feeding. she eventually got mommy wasnt being mean, she just couldnt bite!lol good luck:)

ch-hay
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Quoting mywonderyears:

dont feel bad, i think you did right. i always told my dd "no" and if she did it again id put her down. feeding overwith. then id try next feeding. she eventually got mommy wasnt being mean, she just couldnt bite!lol good luck:)

Yeah, that's what I was going for, but I don't think he understood that I was refusing because of the biting.  I think he thought I was saying "no" to the nursing, which breaks my heart for him.

He is still refusing to nurse with it being after 4:00, but I did trick him into it when he went down for his nap.  LOL.  I gave him a small bottle of expressed milk and then when that was empty and he was still searching for something to suck on, I offered the breast.  He was pretty much asleep, so he took it. 

ednaamelia
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM
Aww that's sooo cute. Try not to be to hurt if you keep trying and he'll get over it. What are you doing to soothe his teething?
ch-hay
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Quoting ednaamelia:

Aww that's sooo cute. Try not to be to hurt if you keep trying and he'll get over it. What are you doing to soothe his teething?

He is still refusing a lot today but has nursed a little when he has been sleepy.

I give him teething tablets and occassionally Baby Orajel if it seems to be hurting really bad.  I am trying not to give him any Tylenol or Ibuprofen because he had a fever for three straight days last week and had to have more fever reducer than I liked.  He does not really take to teething rings or anything like that.  He will chew on them for a minute and then put them down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)