Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supply help question

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a friend that has to Exclusively pump.  But right now her DD is going through a growth spurt and she is barely pumping enough to feed her.   She was wondering if Brushed Thistle will help? I have never heard of it, so I told her I would find out.  I know fenugreek and oatmeal and many other things.. but she was wondering about this one.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lifetimelove
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM

It's blessed thistle, and yes, that in combination with fenugreek are usually a good combination. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Blessed Thistle. Yes, it will help.

If she's not already pumping every two hours around the clock, she needs to start. And if she WANTS and there are no medical reasons not to...it's always possible to get baby on the breast.

Gailll
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Nothing has been scientifically proven to increase milk. Oatmeal is at least harmless.

I don't know of any situation that would make her have to exclusively pump. Sometimes babies that had problems nursing early from say prematuraty or jaundice may be able to breastfeed once they are a little older. It's never too late to try. Moms nurse adopted and foster babies.

It could be the pump. A rental pump is the beast. Using massage before can help. Instructions can be found by going to google and typing in Marmet technique. Listening to music while pumping can help let-down. It's possible to train the reflex. She may need to pump once or twice in the middle of the night.

logunsmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Her daughter is 2 mo old, and she had latch problems and after nursing for about a min she would let go and get really fussy.   I haven't talked a lot in detail with her about it.  

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Quoting logunsmommy:

Her daughter is 2 mo old, and she had latch problems and after nursing for about a min she would let go and get really fussy.   I haven't talked a lot in detail with her about it.  

Hmm..a littel standard issue baby there. **grin**

Not too late to try IF she wants.

logunsmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

That's what I tried telling her, but I think she is to scared to fail at it... and she really wants her daughter to have bm.   She doesn't like pumping because she pumps and the has to give it to her daughter, so she is spending 30-45 min every 4 hours with feedings and it is wearing her out.  But she doesn't want to stop pumping because she is affraid she won't be able to get her daughter to nurse.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:15 AM

If baby got ONE DROP of breastmilk, she has ALREADY succeeded.

There's a great article on kellymom.com on getting baby back to the breast...she should check it out. And she needs to know her baby will NOT be hapopy with her...but that's FINE. When you do the Mom Job right, your child "hates" you more often than not.

Quoting logunsmommy:

That's what I tried telling her, but I think she is to scared to fail at it... and she really wants her daughter to have bm.   She doesn't like pumping because she pumps and the has to give it to her daughter, so she is spending 30-45 min every 4 hours with feedings and it is wearing her out.  But she doesn't want to stop pumping because she is affraid she won't be able to get her daughter to nurse.

lifetimelove
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 4:01 AM

That's because they don't do many scientific studies about it.  Anectdotal evidence strongly supports that they work, it just depends on the woman.

And there are actually several situations that would make a woman need to exclusively pump.  I have a daughter with oral-motor dysphasia and is fed via a feeding tube.  Fortunately, it isn't terribly severe, so we can breastfeed as well, but she is physically unable to get enough calories from nursing, so most of her calories are through a feeding tube.  Any child with oral-motor dysphasia typically would be unable to breastfed, or breastfeed exclusively. 

Any child that must be fed through a feeding tube (for whatever reason) - if the mother wanted to give them breastmilk, they would have to exclusively pump.

My sister's second son had a severe sensory disorder (he has autism) and would not breastfeed - they had to finger feed him with an SNS and she had to pump for 2 months before he was able to nurse at the breast, with a lot of help from therapists working with his sensory disorder and an IBCLC.

Also, a child with a cleft palate that was unable to form a vacuum, the mother would likely need to exclusively pump until surgery corrected it.

So there are reasons - don't be too quick to assume.  =)  It does sound like in this case it's more a matter of finding a way to help baby to latch, but there are actually babies out there that are unable to feed at the breast.  Just wanted to educate you on the situations that would actually force a mother to need to exclusively pump.

Quoting Gailll:

Nothing has been scientifically proven to increase milk. Oatmeal is at least harmless.

I don't know of any situation that would make her have to exclusively pump. Sometimes babies that had problems nursing early from say prematuraty or jaundice may be able to breastfeed once they are a little older. It's never too late to try. Moms nurse adopted and foster babies.

It could be the pump. A rental pump is the beast. Using massage before can help. Instructions can be found by going to google and typing in Marmet technique. Listening to music while pumping can help let-down. It's possible to train the reflex. She may need to pump once or twice in the middle of the night.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)