Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another Nursing Strike Question

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 11 month old DS is on a nursing strike.  I raised my voice at him yesterday afternoon several times when he bit me (Itook him off for a few minutes in between each attempt but then would put him back to the breast to try to feed him because we were about to go on a long car ride), and ever since, I have only been able to get my breast anywhere near him when he is pretty much already asleep.  He has refused all day and screams and cries because he is hungry.  And then he screams and cries when I offer  a breast to him.  He turns away from it and pushes me away.  It is so heartbreaking.  I made another post about this.

Anyway, I have never dealt with a nursing strike before.  He is obviously scared I am going to yell.  I have been pumping today and giving him bottles, but I also read that giving bottles can be counterproductive.  He has had bottles before when I was away from him for a few hours, but he has never had them one after the next after the next.  I am worried this will upset our breastfeeding relationship.  I tried giving him milk in a sippy cup earlier, but he is such a little nibbler with a sippy cup, he was not drinking much.  I do not want him getting dehydrated.  So the bottles seem to be working best right now. 

Does anyone know of anything else I can do to get this nursing strike over with?  I HATE pumping.  I have been trying to talk soft and sweet to him and offering the breast frequently, but he wants nothing to do with it.  My husband said, "Maybe he is a big boy now."  Whatever.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ch-hay
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM

bump

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM

You're doing all the right thinbgs. Keep doing them. And ignore your husband.

It will take time.

Noi bottles, though. Supplemental nursing system, rather.

mombloggerJ
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I've never dealt with this so I don't have an answer for you.  Maybe keep nursing him when he's drowsy?  I'm guess he'll eat when he's hungry enough if a bottle isn't offered. . but I'd wait for the mods to weigh in if I were you b/c I just don't know.  I just replied to tell you to hang in there!

*edited to add* cross posted with gdiamante.. .

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:40 AM

One more thing...it's actually quite normal at this age for them to go to virtually no nursings in a day. Mine practically STOPPED...then he managed walking and was back to newborn frequency. Continue to offer and do all the things you're doing and RELAX. Being tense about it won't help. Offer, don't push and don't worry because he's sensing that too.

JennaFoix
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 2:37 AM

awww that is really sad that his view on it will now be negative, and to be honest IMO I dunno if it can be fixed. and maybe as ur hubby  says hes a big boy now and wont go back to it. why would he when the ende result was negative before and hes getting the same thing from the bottle.   I bet it does break your heart mine kinda broke just reading your post.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM

This is NOT a permanent thing at all. No need for heartbreak here. This is quite normal behavior...and hubby is quite wrong.

Quoting JennaFoix:

awww that is really sad that his view on it will now be negative, and to be honest IMO I dunno if it can be fixed. and maybe as ur hubby  says hes a big boy now and wont go back to it. why would he when the ende result was negative before and hes getting the same thing from the bottle.   I bet it does break your heart mine kinda broke just reading your post.

Gruntlings
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Sweet talk him. Say "Sweetie, I'm sorry that I yelled yesterday and scared you. It's okay to nurse, mommy's not going to talk loud." 

Often they understand more than we realize. 

Go easy on the attempts to have him re-latch. Don't force the issue. Try skin to skin and a "nursing holiday" where you just take him to bed with you and strip him to his diaper and strip yourself to your waist. Lots of snuggles. Coo and talk gently to him. Rock him in your arms. 

And if he bites again, try just gently saying "Oh sweetie, that hurts mommy" and unlatch him. Don't raise your voice. Sounds like you've got a sensitive son. Every baby's different. Just be patient and loving and he'll feel at ease again. 

Skip the bottles, go easy on the solids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)