• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working and breastfeeding question...

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:05 AM
  • 18 Replies

Ok. I nursed my first until 15 months when she weaned during the second trimester of my second baby. Great. 

That second baby is 4 months old now and the nursing is going great. My problem is that I might be getting a job teaching for the fall. The baby will be 8 months old by then. Normally I would just say pump, but...

1. Teaching isn't very compatible with pumping because there is no good place in a high school that I can guarantee kids won't walk in on me and with a 30 min lunch and only one "off" period that is usually filled with conferences and meetings, there really isn't time. 

2. I hate pumping. I am one of those that might get one or two oz for 30 min of pumping... and it hurts... and it sucks. And yes I have tried multiple pumps hand and hospital grade electric. I don't like any. 

So I am thinking that if I get the job I will try to move her to formula. I know 8 months is better than some people do, but it makes me sad considering I waited until my first self weaned and was fully on solids. 

What do yall think? Should I suck it up and stress and find a way to pump, or give in to formula?

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Hubby and I can't wait to meet our new addition!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shabaam_CFC
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Well mama, i think you allready made up your mind.

If you have yet to find a good pump, that is comfortable for you, and work wont work well with a pumping schedule, then stopping is your only option. 8 months is fantastic, and its better that you did what you could for your baby.

GL :D

shecallsmemom04
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:16 AM

i'm not sure what to tell you and i'm probably not the best person to answer.  i work sometimes 16 hours a day, i pump, A LOT.  i have to.  i'll deal with the pain and agony.  i'll deal with the frustration and annoyingness.  none of my children have ever had a drop of formula.  and they absolutely will not ever.

but congrads to making it to 8 months.  and i'm sure you'll make the best choice for you.

will fight for animals

mandamitch
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Could you start pumping now and freeze milk to use when you are working?  Also, if you decide not to pump will you just formula feed while you are at work and nurse while you are home?

armywife1229
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:38 AM

How does this work for the baby? I'm curious about the occasional bottle of formula.

Quoting mandamitch:

Could you start pumping now and freeze milk to use when you are working?  Also, if you decide not to pump will you just formula feed while you are at work and nurse while you are home?

katznkt
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Mandamitch- Great ideas!!! Thanks.

I will need to find a good day care/nanny because some won't deal with breast milk, but I could def start pumping this summer ( any sooner and I think it would go bad by school time- we don't have a deep freezer ). That might not get the baby 24/7 breastmilk till a year... but it will be better than not. I hate pumping, but I can at least do it at home. As much as I hate it I would pump at work if I thought there was a place or time I could. As a substitute teacher I have pumped, but substitutes don't have confereces and meetings during off periods, and I have been tempting fate pumping in the classroom- turning out the lights and hiding in a corner hoping nobody walks in....

And of course I will nurse from 4pm until 6am the next day and on weekends for as long as my body will provide it. 

Ugh. I hate bottles and formula. I have never made a bottle and don't want to start!

mandamitch
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Do you mean on his digestive system?  Switching back and forth from breast to bottle?  How your body regulates?

Quoting armywife1229:

How does this work for the baby? I'm curious about the occasional bottle of formula.

Quoting mandamitch:

babies
babies
weaveress
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:45 AM

I went back to college when mine was four weeks old and i was just too exhausted to pump in between classes plus try and get homework done with a baby who still wasnt sleeping through the night. and my body reregulated its self to my only breastfeeding at nights and weekends. but a word to the wise. the first week wear breast pads and bring extras. while it was adjusting i leaked like crazy.

DragonRiderMD
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I had the most luck pumping first thing in the morning, nursing on one side and pumping on the other. I would get 4-6 oz from one breast doing that, vs. 1-2 oz total from both. It was amazing, and so much more satisfying, lol. And breastmilk lasts for 6 months in a regular refrigerater-freezer, so you could start now for September and it would still be good. If you do end up having to use formula anyway, I would go with the same 1-1.25 oz per hour rule (unless there's a reason not to? I know that's the rule for breastmilk, don't know if it's different for formula), and make sure they don't feed baby within 2-3 hours of you getting there to nurse.

Also, since your baby will be 8 months old, she could rely more on solids during the day, and nursing during the evening and night. And it's possible that your baby might prefer to do completely without any kind of breastmilk/formula while you're not there to nurse. Some babies take to it fine, others don't. My daughter never took a bottle/sippy of breastmilk while I was working full-time, and she did fine with just nursing while I was around (which of course I was ecstatic about, because I hate pumping, too, lol).

armywife1229
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Yes. I am BFing 98% of the time. I want DD to be comfortable taking a bottle. But I can't always pump enough or have enough notice to pump for her. Would a few ounces of formula once or twice a week be ok?

Quoting mandamitch:

Do you mean on his digestive system?  Switching back and forth from breast to bottle?  How your body regulates?

Quoting armywife1229:

Quoting mandamitch:

JocelynsMama1
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Just so you know freezing milk in the very back corner of a freezer under everything else is considered just as good as a deep freezer so it lasts as long..the hospital told me this

Quoting katznkt:

Mandamitch- Great ideas!!! Thanks.

I will need to find a good day care/nanny because some won't deal with breast milk, but I could def start pumping this summer ( any sooner and I think it would go bad by school time- we don't have a deep freezer ). That might not get the baby 24/7 breastmilk till a year... but it will be better than not. I hate pumping, but I can at least do it at home. As much as I hate it I would pump at work if I thought there was a place or time I could. As a substitute teacher I have pumped, but substitutes don't have confereces and meetings during off periods, and I have been tempting fate pumping in the classroom- turning out the lights and hiding in a corner hoping nobody walks in....

And of course I will nurse from 4pm until 6am the next day and on weekends for as long as my body will provide it. 

Ugh. I hate bottles and formula. I have never made a bottle and don't want to start!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)