Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hurting the normalcy of breastfeeding

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM
  • 55 Replies

I was thinking about how it seems many people have been told or heard of someone who was told that BFing past a certain age makes the kid a pervert. Of course that is an absurd idea. But I started to wonder if some BFing moms are making that line of thinking worse by having their kids call it "tities" etc.  If your little one walks up and says "mommy I want tities" or a mom is saying "johnny is sucha  little tit monster!" well that is not exactly the loving nurturing term you want associated with BFing. That is, in most peoples minds, a more sexual term for breasts. I feel like things like that take us backwards in making society realize how normal BFing is.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MDT09
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Completely Agree.  We always say "the boob" but DD is 5 1/2 months and I've just been saying "milk"... need to work on Dad's lingo though :)

DollofMalice
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I tell them my kids it is milk, I also say they were boobie babies and since I am Mexican, I use the term chichi. But I have always hated the word tit/titty so I refrain from using that in conjunction with my body and feeding. 

WilliamsMama08
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Yeah I know I don't really like when they are refered to in that manor..

treehugger823
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM

i hate it too. i think it is so.... unclassy.  Sometimes my mom shows her redneck roots, though, like yesterday i was on the phone with her and she asked if i had a baby on my titty. it just sounds so trashy.

MalibuMommy
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM

My two year old comes to me and tells me she wants to nurse. Then when she is done, she will say "mm that is good nurse!" Lol I agree completely.

whitmomoftwo
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I do not ever use that word....much less as far as my ds nursing.  He says "mulk" for milk when he wants to nurse.   I honestly have never heard tit used in terms of nursing before.  But I also don't know many people that actually nurse past a few months. :)  Very interesting observation!!!

Kimmybeth
by on May. 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I hadn't really thought about it.  I hate that word.  We don't use it.  I do say boobies even though that's not a word I care for much.  My son says baby is eating on my booby.  (Which is fine, did you know there's a real bird called a Booby bird?  Red footed booby and blue footed booby.)  Anyway, the milk we call Mommy Milk.  :-)  I think that's cute.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on May. 2, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I completely agree.  I cringe when I see/hear people refer to the breast in that manner.

BethPrice1345
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I hate that word. Makes me cringe and think of strip clubs for some reason, LOL. So, no we don't use that word, even now that I'm not currently bf'ing.

LorisChar
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I don't like them referred to that way either. Our little one is 5 and half months old. I ask him if he want milk or his booby. Hubby will ask him if he's ready for the "boob"fet (like buffet) or if he wants to eat at the "breast"aurant. We also refer to the milk as milk (lol) or mommy milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)