Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BF question

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello

I am having a c section on May 13. Maybe sooner. I am currently dialated 4 cm and 75 efaced. Been having alot of BH, back pain and pelvic pressure.. I am having a repeat c section because I have pd... I never got to bf my first and really want to give it a  go this time around..

I will probably start out bf for a couple weeks and then I would like to pump in preparation for going back to work. Also I would like for my dtr and hubby to be able to participate in the feeding.. For anyone that has had a c section do they bring the baby to you to nurse in the recovery room? If something happens where they have to keep the baby longer in the nursery and feed them formula will it seriously hurt your chances of the baby latching on..

Also my first had jaundice and I've heard that if your baby does have jaundice you have to supplement with formula... Just really want this to work this time

Thanks for your help comments and suggestions

by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifetimelove
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Quoting Lovebeinamamma:

Hello

I am having a c section on May 13. Maybe sooner. I am currently dialated 4 cm and 75 efaced. Been having alot of BH, back pain and pelvic pressure.. I am having a repeat c section because I have pd... I never got to bf my first and really want to give it a  go this time around..

I will probably start out bf for a couple weeks and then I would like to pump in preparation for going back to work. Also I would like for my dtr and hubby to be able to participate in the feeding.. For anyone that has had a c section do they bring the baby to you to nurse in the recovery room?

They should - insist on it.  The sooner the baby gets to you, the better your chances for breastfeeding.  Preferably within the first hour, before baby gets too sleepy to nurse.

If something happens where they have to keep the baby longer in the nursery and feed them formula will it seriously hurt your chances of the baby latching on..

It can. Insist that NO artificial nipples be given.  Baby can do quite fine for several hours without everything.  Their tummies are EXTREMELY tiny.  If baby gets hungry and can't be with you yet, they can give him/her a tiny amount of formula in a syringe or a cup.  NO BOTTLES.  Insist on that.

Also my first had jaundice and I've heard that if your baby does have jaundice you have to supplement with formula... Just really want this to work this time

No, you do NOT have to supplement with formula.  The best way to get rid of jaundice is to nurse a LOT.  A certain amount of jaundice is normal and fine.  It's only dangerous if the bilirubin gets above 20.  This is BAD information that doctors sadly perpetuate.

Thanks for your help comments and suggestions

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

doosti
by on May. 2, 2010 at 2:27 PM

sorry i had my dd natural so i cant help much but i wanted to add that my dd had jaundice also and she never had to have formula

BiloxiDreams
by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I've had two c-sections and they didn't either time.  But with my first, he was on an IV in the NICU for a half the day due to an infection and with my second I was really weak and my body was struggling (Dr told DH I might not make it so it really was serious).  So I didn't really have your average experience.  Sorry.

cmiller83
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM

A lot of moms in this group will tell you NO formula at all and no artificial nipples cause it will cause problems...Here is my take...

I had my DD a day shy of 36 wks and with my first being formula fed and me not really knowing THAT much about BF I took the nurses advice and gave my DD a bottle probably about 5 times the 2 days while we were in the hospital. It did cause SMALL issues with BF but I overcame it without much trouble at all and she is still BF at 10 months. So..IF you decide to allow it just make sure to put forth even more effort into something that is already a struggle for some women.

I didn't read the other posts so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything but I would call the hospital ASAP and get their policies and procedures for situations like yours. Also sit down with your DH and tell him that he needs to stay with that baby and be on those nurses like a leech to make sure you get what you want.

DragonRiderMD
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Different hospitals have different policies. The hospital where I had my first (by C-section) didn't have a recoveryy room, baby went back to mom's room right after surgery and both stayed there for the rest of the hospital stay. The hospital where I had my second (vaginally, but I knew the C-section policy just in case) had a 1-hour recovery period in a recovery room, during which time baby stayed in the nursery to be bathed and warmed, etc. (stupid, in my opinion, but that was policy). Ask your hospital about their policies, and decide from there what you want to do, whether you'll go with the flow or fight for something else.

And giving the baby anything to suck on besides your breast will make breastfeeding harder. If you're serious about it, you should insist on no artificial nipples. If something happens to keep baby in the nursery, then it either won't be long enough to make formula a necessity or serious enough that you can't make it in there to feed baby in the nursery; or it would be serious enough that they'd need to put baby on an IV which usually hinders the desire to nurse because they're getting all necessary fluids by the IV. But chances are your baby will be fine and you won't even have to worry about it.

All that being said... When my second was born, she had to spend 10 days in the NICU for antibiotics. The first day, she got all her fluids by IV, so no nursing or formula. The second day, they insisted on formula for the first few feedings so they could monitor her intake; when that was good, they let us do half and half breastfeeding and formula for the rest of the day. On the third day, I could nurse for every feeding, but it didn't work out every time because by that point my daughter had some trouble latching, but usually we got it done with the help of a couple of extra hands. The next day, my milk came in which led to engorgement and more latching issues, at which point the LC gave us a nipple shield, which worked wonders. My daughter kept getting bottles during the day from the nurses, and breastfeeding at night while I was there, until she came home on day 10. We used the nipple shield for another week, then ditched that. No formula at all after coming home from the hospital, and she's 12 months now and still nursing regularly. So problems don't have to mean breastfeeding will be unsuccessful; it's all about how much you want it. Good luck! :)

eviesmom453
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Sorry  no c-section advice here. But, my DS had jaundice and I was never told thst he had to drink formula....

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on May. 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM

AlsoFor anyone that has had a c section do they bring the baby to you to nurse in the recovery room?

:I did have a c/s but my situation was a little different because I had twins and they were premature. They whisked them right to the special care nursery.

Quote:

If something happens where they have to keep the baby longer in the nursery and feed them formula will it seriously hurt your chances of the baby latching on..

There are a few issues with giving a baby formula in the nursery. 

1) Nipple confusion. Yes, many babies have no problems going back and forth but some babies do have problems. I have twins that were given bottles in the nursery. One went back and forth with no problem but my other twin DID have problems. He refused to latch for a little over month. It was A LOT of work getting him back to the breast.

2) Breastfeeding works on supply and demand. If you don't get that stimulation from baby nursing due to giving bottles, it can cause problems with supply.

Quote:

NO. There is nothing different in formula that helps jaundice go away. The best thing to do is to nurse as much as possible to flush the jaundice out.

I really recommend that you read books on bf'ing. One of my favorites is Janet Tamaro's So That's What They're There For. I've also heard that the Breastfeeding Answer Book and Dr. Sear's Breastfeeding books are great as well

www.kellymom.com is another great resource

Find support, attend LLL meetings (or other bf'ing support groups).

Good luck!!

celestegood
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2010 at 5:24 PM

You can BF in recovery room if you are up to it.  I insisted on it after all my cesareans, and as long as baby is healthy, you can do so.  If you need help, ask for it.

It depends on baby if giving a bottle will cause bf problems.  My second son was born with one lung, and they tried to give him my milk in a bottle, would not let me bf him.  Well, he pretty much starved for 2 weeks until he got to breastfeed.  He never took a bottle, or paci.  He hated artificial nipples.  It should not be an issue to pump and give breastmilk in the bottles; just know that you should always offer your breast when you are there, to keep up supply.  Most babies can go from breast to bottle with no problem.

No, if a breastfed baby gets jaundice, you just have to breastfeed more!  That's it.  Not all docs know much about breastfeeding.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on May. 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I had two C-sections.  I didn't see my baby for four hours after because I was knocked out in the middle due to me feeling everything.  We had no issues nursing after that separation and when he was given formula because I was too sick to even hold him, he was finger fed.  My second was born in a different state and was brought to me as soon as I got into the recovery room to nurse.  The nurse helped me roll to my side to nurse him since I was still kind of numb from the spinal.  He was never given formula.  The doctor just told me to put him in sunlight if he started showing signs of jaundice.

Find out the hospital's policy NOW and make it known that you intend on breastfeeding. 

AMS622
by on May. 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I had a c section. And my husband carried her over to the recovery room and then i was able to hold her in there. But both of my babies had jaundice and I was able to breast feed both of them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)