Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did your milk come in?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM
  • 48 Replies

Poll

Question: When did your milk come in?

Options:

24 hours

24-48 hours

48-72 hours

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6+

Other!!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 96

View Results

So this time my milk came in really fast, thought I'd ask when others had their milk come in.

ALSO add in comments whether it was a Csections or not, whether meds were used in birth, IV fluids, if baby was preemie, if supplimenting was done tc..anything that could've made a difference.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teachermama81
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I'm pretty sure two-ish days for me...i had an iv and no supplementing...

teachermama81
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM

CONGRATS by the way!!!!!  So happy for you!!!!!!

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 2, 2010 at 4:09 PM

With my first, it came in maybe 4-5 days after I had her. I did not supplement and I had an IV.

With my second, my milk came in 3 days after is had him. I didn't supplement with him either and I had an IV.

Both were born vaginally.

Randi02
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Both of mine were c sections and my milk came in pretty quickly. My first was probably just under 48 hours, my second... It was starting to come in before I left the hospital and I was only there for 24 hours.

I never really paid much attention to exactly how long it took.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Randi02
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Oh, and no supplementing.

They were both nursing every 15-45 minutes though. My second was born at 6:42 pm and she was literally on the boob all night long.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

SillyJessi
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Day 3 for my first, after hospital birth with nubain and pitocin sneaked in my IV, placenta pulled out by the cord before I got to hold my son, and "recommended" pumping every hour for the first 24-48 hours, and barely getting my baby to latch on.

Day 2 for my second, after home birth with no drugs, and "breast crawl" to initiate breastfeeding before the placenta even came.

Also, my first baby took 1 week to poop meconium (well he passed some in utero, but not much).

It took my second baby about 5 seconds after the birth to poop everywhere, and then another few hours he pooped some more, and so on.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on May. 2, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I don't remember much from after Andrew's birth.  I was REALLY out of it and was really sick.  He was a C-section and was finger fed formula when I was too sick to hold him.

Johnathan was another C-section and I went home after 2 1/2 days.  My milk came in the next morning.  He never had any formula and is still going strong at 28 months.

Congratulations on the new bundle!!!  : )

DragonRiderMD
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM

My first was a C-section, never took to the breast so ended up being formula-fed (though I did pump regularly for the first week or so), and my milk came in overnight after day 3 I think, don't really remember for sure.

My second, it came in on day 4. I did have an epidural, and my baby was in the NICU where they insisted on supplementing.

huntannakay
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM

5 days for me, w/ my 1st it was 7 plus days though!!!

MotherofIreland
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I think it was day 3.

Vaginal, IV fluids, no drugs, 38 weeks, completely healthy, no suppliments, nursed right away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)