Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 9 month old is not breastfeeding much anymore...

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:31 PM
  • 2 Replies

My son has always been a champion nurser...he has nursed at least every 2 hours since he was born. He is now 9 months old and is losing interest. He eats some solid foods but I always nurse him first. Sometimes he will refuse the breast but then eat the solids. He is only nursing about once every 4 hours during the day and every 2-3 hours during the night. Part of that is that we co sleep and he does it just for comfort. Is this the natural weaning process that I've heard about? He also gets very distracted and sometimes would rather play than nurse. I want him to wean naturally when he is ready but I was thinking that it would be at least 2 years. What is nursing like for you women who have babies that are a year old and over? Is it more like snacking and they get most nutrition from food?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
maxswolfsuit
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM

It sounds more like his eating habits are changing than weaning. My son definitely got to an age where he preferred other things to nursing. After a year, he mainly nursed before bedtime and naps and right after waking up. Most other times (unless he was sick or cranky) he would rather play than nurse.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on May. 2, 2010 at 9:52 PM

It just sounds like he is more distracted during the day and is getting the majority of his milk at night.  This is usually a phase and many babies increase the daytime nursing again.  I suggest that you not feed any solids if he hasn't nursed.  Feeding the solids without nursing can lead to replacing your milk with the food and that should not happen until at least a year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)