Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

med help NOW please

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

My breast infection seems to be making a reappearance.  Talked to the dr this morning and she gave me an Rx for a different antibiotics.  It's 2x's a day.  I took one this morning and have been significanly lethargic since about noon.  I slept off and on all afternoon except when nursing.  I really don't want to take another one until I can talk to my dr in the am.  Should I not take one?  I'm concerned about not being able to care for the babies tomorrow.  BUT I don't want the infection to get worse.  Right now it's already feeling a bit better- I caught it really early.  What do I do??

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cutiepye228
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM

what did ur doc prescribe you?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Unless an infection is REALLY bad, as in very high fever and flu like symptoms it can usually be worked through without meds.

If you nurse up a storm then you should be able to clear the infection...yes you can nurse way mastitus

mimi0884
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Ciprofloxacin- side effects are drowiness.  I feel that I am unable to drive my car it's that bad

Quoting cutiepye228:

what did ur doc prescribe you?

mimi0884
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:58 PM

No, infection isn't bad yet.  Just VERY tender (not a blocked duct either).  No fever, swelling/redness.  The boys are nursing fine off of it but it's exactly what it felt like early on last time (only 2 1/2 weeks ago)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Unless an infection is REALLY bad, as in very high fever and flu like symptoms it can usually be worked through without meds.

If you nurse up a storm then you should be able to clear the infection...yes you can nurse way mastitus

trebelcleff
by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I would go ahead and take one tonight since you'll be sleeping mostly anyway (and I'm also assuming the babies will be asleep as well except to nurse).  Tomorrow morning I'd call the doc nice and early before you take the morning dose and discuss it then.  Good luck... mastitis hurts, and I feel your pain, but like the other mom said (as did webmd when I looked it up the first time), nursing actually helps keep the infection from blocking your ducts, so nurse like CRAZY on that side!  Here's to hoping you feel better fast!

mama02040608
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I would also take the cipro tonight and call the doc in the morning.  THe thing is, once you have had an infection, sometimes it won't respond to a lesser antibiotic, if you will, so if you could get thru 3 days of the Cipro, then it should have kicked the infection, esp if your boys are nursing fine.  You could then re-evaluate whether to switch or to continue the full course (I'm assuming a week is what you're on it for).

mimi0884
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Thank you for your advice.  Not sure what is going on now.  My breast is just slightly tender but I'm dizzy, still so tired, have a slight temp.  Not sure if it's just the infection or if I've got a bug.   I'm waiting for a call from my dr, hopefully we can get things cleared up.

Daynaof3
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I would not skip the med, especially if it's getting worse. If you start feeling any worse, I think I might suggest an ER trip.

Is it just one breast or both?

laureng22
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM

If you start and stop antibiotics it's really ineffective.  You have to take the whole course even if you start to feel better. Otherwise the bacteria will die off but not completely and just multiply again!

mimi0884
by on May. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM

No, I understand!  The meds made me pretty sick so I'm just waiting for the dr to call with a different Rx. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)