Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More Bottle questions..accessories and organization? How many?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

My first dd was EBF. I waited 4 weeks to introduce her the bottle so she wouldn't get "nipple confusion" and she decided to never ever take the bottle. It nearly drove me in sane and I need to get a bottle to my upcoming newborn!

So how many bottles is good to have on hand? What accessories are worth it and which are useless? I see the drying racks, brushes, bottle warmers and I don't know what is useful. And for those of you who were successful, when did you introduce the bottle? I'm thinking the 2nd week this time. I'd love to do both breast and bottle to ensure I can  breastfeed for as long as possible.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Bottles can acutally shorten your nursing career. RFemnember that newborns are leeches...always attached...but it DOES eventually stop. Baby is your get out of everything pass.

A SLING will be vital...it frees you up and is the second most important piece of baby equipment you can own after the car seat. In fact, you can do without everything but the sling and car seat!

But if you're going to do bottles:

1. MOM never gives the bottle. Babies are smart and can SMELL your milk. Think of it this way. If you visited your mom, who had just finished baking yout FAVORITE cookies....you would think she was nuts if she didn't allow you to have those cookies and instead gave you a stale pack of generic Nilla wafers from the WalMart clearance rack.

Your breasts = fresh baked cookies.

Bottle = stale wafers

Baby is SMART. ANYONE but you gives the bottles when you are not present.

2. Bottle selection: Driven by BABY, not you. Buy the smallest number of your choice. Have someone try it. If baby accept,s you have a winner. If not, try another one.

3. Bottle number? Up to you. How many do you want to let pile up before washing?

4. When to introduce? Six weeks. No sooner. And again..YOU  do not do it. Which probably blows your whole reason for giving bottles out of the water but let me be perfectly honest. Giving bottles will interfere with supply, and in ten years of online breastfeeding counseling, the moms with the shortest breastfeeding careers were the ones who tried to combine and didnb';t emphasize the breast enough.

Are you planning to pump or give formula in those bottles? Because pumping is more time consuming...you can't put a pump in a sling...and every bottle of formula does impact supply but depriving your body of the make milk signal.

Understand...it's your choice. But with a stated goal of breastfeeding as long as possible, it would be very irresponsible of me NOT to let you know that you're choosing the hardest road for achieving it.

Do know that if baby gets ONE DROP we do consider you a success. But I want you to understand that you're considering a garden path that ends in thorns and brambles.

All the rest of the bottle gear...optional. I did have bottles for when I was at work and only had the bottle brush. Didn't need the rest. Cup of warm water works fine for thawing milk, the drying rack I already had was perfect. If space is at a premium, look at what you already have first.

Misery_Stitches
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I introduced my boy to a bottle at 2 weeks old. I only made it so he had one per week for the next 3 weeks. then a few randomly over the next few weeks, he even takes it happily from me and is happy to go straight from breast to bottle or bottle to breast in the same feed...

We had been doing it as I started work today so needed him to be able to take bottles.

We are also using breastflow bottles, but am trying a new bottle (or rather just the nipple) named chu chu as from what I can see it works similar to the breastflow. NO milk comes out at all unless baby sucks. Im hoping my boy takes to it with no problems as they will fit onto my pump bottles so I wont have to transfer from pump bottle to storage bag to feeding bottle lol.

kelfitz
by on May. 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM

slow flow nipples only!!! If you do start at 2 wks do 1 a week to keep acclimated, only, unless nec. It can definitely cut short your bf exper. But if you are careful, you should be ok.

MamaChamp
by on May. 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for all the information. Yeah not using bottles isn't an option this time around for my own sanity. Being the only person that can feed my baby and a SAHM was just too much. I support BFing for as long as possible but not when it effects the mother so mentally and emotionally. I can't wait 6 weeks this time around because doing that with my dd meant she never took a bottle...from ANYONE and not ANY kind either. I have a medela that works excellently and I may be pumping all the time but knowing I have the freedom to go out on a date without the kids will be so freeing!

Quoting gdiamante:

Bottles can acutally shorten your nursing career. RFemnember that newborns are leeches...always attached...but it DOES eventually stop. Baby is your get out of everything pass.

A SLING will be vital...it frees you up and is the second most important piece of baby equipment you can own after the car seat. In fact, you can do without everything but the sling and car seat!

But if you're going to do bottles:

1. MOM never gives the bottle. Babies are smart and can SMELL your milk. Think of it this way. If you visited your mom, who had just finished baking yout FAVORITE cookies....you would think she was nuts if she didn't allow you to have those cookies and instead gave you a stale pack of generic Nilla wafers from the WalMart clearance rack.

Your breasts = fresh baked cookies.

Bottle = stale wafers

Baby is SMART. ANYONE but you gives the bottles when you are not present.

2. Bottle selection: Driven by BABY, not you. Buy the smallest number of your choice. Have someone try it. If baby accept,s you have a winner. If not, try another one.

3. Bottle number? Up to you. How many do you want to let pile up before washing?

4. When to introduce? Six weeks. No sooner. And again..YOU  do not do it. Which probably blows your whole reason for giving bottles out of the water but let me be perfectly honest. Giving bottles will interfere with supply, and in ten years of online breastfeeding counseling, the moms with the shortest breastfeeding careers were the ones who tried to combine and didnb';t emphasize the breast enough.

Are you planning to pump or give formula in those bottles? Because pumping is more time consuming...you can't put a pump in a sling...and every bottle of formula does impact supply but depriving your body of the make milk signal.

Understand...it's your choice. But with a stated goal of breastfeeding as long as possible, it would be very irresponsible of me NOT to let you know that you're choosing the hardest road for achieving it.

Do know that if baby gets ONE DROP we do consider you a success. But I want you to understand that you're considering a garden path that ends in thorns and brambles.

All the rest of the bottle gear...optional. I did have bottles for when I was at work and only had the bottle brush. Didn't need the rest. Cup of warm water works fine for thawing milk, the drying rack I already had was perfect. If space is at a premium, look at what you already have first.

MamaChamp
by on May. 4, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I think this looks like a plan I will try to follow. I want to start at two weeks as well but just giving one a week I had not thought of. I've seen alot of women recommend breastflow so I'll probably try those first myself. Thank you!

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

I introduced my boy to a bottle at 2 weeks old. I only made it so he had one per week for the next 3 weeks. then a few randomly over the next few weeks, he even takes it happily from me and is happy to go straight from breast to bottle or bottle to breast in the same feed...

We had been doing it as I started work today so needed him to be able to take bottles.

We are also using breastflow bottles, but am trying a new bottle (or rather just the nipple) named chu chu as from what I can see it works similar to the breastflow. NO milk comes out at all unless baby sucks. Im hoping my boy takes to it with no problems as they will fit onto my pump bottles so I wont have to transfer from pump bottle to storage bag to feeding bottle lol.

momamouse07
by on May. 4, 2010 at 11:50 AM

~bottles- i used the kind that had the drop ins and loved them! less mess, easier to clean. Plus if the bottles dont work then all you have to do its not buy anymore refills.

~drying rack-Also i didnt have a bottle drying rack with my fist because i didnt think they were that useful, and i could use a dish drainer. i got one with baby#2 and never used it. I just forgot about it actually because i had a dishwasher. But my sister who just had a baby swears by it and says it saves SO much space because once they are dry you can put rack and all in the cabinet and dont have to worry about a place to put your bottles where they wont fall. So ill probably get one this time around. 

~bottle warmers- i never had one. i just filled a pot with hot water and put the bottle in it, or sit it under hot running water.

~brushes- definetely useful. I feel its more sanitary for the baby if you use a bottle brush specifically for the baby's bottles and nothing else. but just my personal opinion.

~introducing bottles- with my first i didnt until probably 2weeks, maybe earlier simply because dh wanted to feed and i was pumping because i had problems with engoregement (sp?).  With ds#2 the nurse tried to give him a bottle in the hospital. i got po'd. thankfully it didnt mess with the breastfeeding. I introduced the bottle with him once we got settled at home with a routine. my personal opinion is to start once you get settled in at home and getting the baby used to a routine. i think its easier for baby and mommy because thats what they are used to in the home enviroment.

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Quoting MamaChamp:

Thanks for all the information. Yeah not using bottles isn't an option this time around for my own sanity. Being the only person that can feed my baby and a SAHM was just too much.

I don't understand how bottles will change that? Not trying to be argumentative...I know what I have seen over the years.

Here's a secret. Dump EVERYTHING not needed for survival in the beginning. And put DAD in charge of some of the stuff.

A sling REALLY makes a difference too. More important than anything else you can own.

I support BFing for as long as possible but not when it effects the mother so mentally and emotionally. I can't wait 6 weeks this time around because doing that with my dd meant she never took a bottle...from ANYONE and not ANY kind either.

Be aware...a refuser will refuse from the very beginning. There is no such thing as getting baby iused to a bottle. So trying earlier with your daughter would have made NO difference.

I have a medela that works excellently and I may be pumping all the time but knowing I have the freedom to go out on a date without the kids will be so freeing!

Hand baby to caregiver., GO.

Try a cup or a syringe instead of a bottle iof bottles are all refused. Even a newborn can be fed with a cup. Remove the spill proof valve, tip the cup, baby sips. Easy.

My fear is that you will only be MORFE emotionally upset. I've seen it too many times to not warn you about it.

SabrinaL
by on May. 4, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I have 3 bottles.  I use our regular dish drying rack (we don't have a dishwasher) to dry the bottles.  I also use a bottle brush to clean them.  I do not have a bottle warmer.  My son only gets breastmilk which is stored in bags and IMO and my hubby's it is easier to warm the milk in the bag than in the bottle.  My son didn't get a bottle until 6 weeks old. 

LeanneC
by on May. 4, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Quoting MamaChamp:

Thanks for all the information. Yeah not using bottles isn't an option this time around for my own sanity. Being the only person that can feed my baby and a SAHM was just too much. I support BFing for as long as possible but not when it effects the mother so mentally and emotionally. I can't wait 6 weeks this time around because doing that with my dd meant she never took a bottle...from ANYONE and not ANY kind either. I have a medela that works excellently and I may be pumping all the time but knowing I have the freedom to go out on a date without the kids will be so freeing!

I'm also a SAHM.  My first took a bottle from birth and then flat out refused them starting around 3 months.  Never touched one again.

My second, I tried at 4 weeks and he had trouble going back to the breast.  Tried again at 6 weeks and he did fine... then flat out refused them around 4 months and didn't take another until 10 months when he started taking them fine out of the blue.

So... early introduction doesn't mean they will for sure take a bottle, it just puts her at risk for nipple confusion (which IS real).   And every baby is different... some will go back and forth no problem, some won't no matter what you do or how early you introduce.  If you had started earlier with your daughter, she may have just refused the breast instead... would you rather your child refuse the bottle or the breast? 

The good news is that you can still leave them even when they won't take bottles... cups work fine, or just plain timing...  With my second I would always leave a bottle, but I'd try to time my time out so as to avoid a feeding.  One day he got hungry (or rather, sleepy) enough to take a bottle. 

I agree with G about the sling... number one most important baby item.   I know how maddening it can be to feel trapped... but you just have to let go of that, realize it's not the end of the world and make more careful plans when going out.  

Oh, and I have 2 bottles.  One I bought and one that was given to me when I registered.  He ended up liking the freebie so I didn't have to buy any others and just one is plenty... I don't have any other bottle gear, it's all a waste of $ IMO.

DragonRiderMD
by on May. 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Like LeanneC, my baby took a bottle early on (she was in the NICU, so she had to), but then after that first 10 days, she flat-out refused, even when I wasn't in the house and she was screaming to be fed. So early introduction doesn't necessarily do anything.

As for your questions...my first was formula-fed, so that's where I'm getting my answers. First off, as PPs have said, baby determines which bottles you use. I would definitely take recommendations from women here as to which work best for breastfed babies, but don't go on a spending spree and get a whole bunch of one kind, or even one of every kind. Get one or two and see how baby does, then go from there and either get more if it works or one of a different kind of it doesn't.

How many -- With a full-time bottle-fed baby, I used about 3 or 4 regularly. At first I'd wash them immediately after use, then I got tired of that and just rinsed right afterward and washed once a day.

Accessories -- A bottle brush. That was it. And that comes in handy even if you never use bottles, for sippy cup spouts, medicine spoons, and other hard-to-reach places. For drying, I just used paper towels, or if you already have a drying rack it will work for the bottles. And warm water works fine for warming/thawing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)