• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some suggestions on relieving engorgement

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM
  • 2 Replies

The last few mornings have been kind of rough on me, DH, and my 3 month old DD.  She has done this projectile vomiting/spit up thing 3 out of the last 4 mornings.  We're talking about clothes, sheets, towels soaked.  My guess is because I'm very engorged and she's getting too much too fast.  She nurses between 7:30 and 8:00 pm and then sleeps until 6:30 or 7:00 am so I'm very full when she nurses in the morning.  Now, she's been sleeping like this for awhile, and it seems like the engorgement in the mornings kind of comes and goes.  Some mornings my breasts feel normal, others they're as hard as a rock.  So would I employ some of the same methods for OAL so she doesn't regurgiate her breakfast all over me and my bed?  (Seriously, I'm running out of PJs and sheets.  I just went back to work so I don't have time to do laundry every night).  Also, I only feed on one side when she's with me.  She nurses every 2 to 2.5 hours when she's with me.  I know spit up is normal, and I'm not concerned about it being reflux, but whatever this is lately has been A LOT.  She did it in her swing the other morning and it pooled underneath her, and her paci was completely covered if that gives you an idea of how much this child spitting up in the mornings.   So, manage the over active letdown?  What about the engorgement?  Is there anything I can do so I don't wake up so engorged?  It wakes me up at times as well, but like I said, it's not every morning. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Quoting Journey311:
  So would I employ some of the same methods for OAL so she doesn't regurgiate her breakfast all over me and my bed? 
Yes.
(Seriously, I'm running out of PJs and sheets.  I just went back to work so I don't have time to do laundry every night).  Also, I only feed on one side when she's with me.  She nurses every 2 to 2.5 hours when she's with me.  I know spit up is normal, and I'm not concerned about it being reflux, but whatever this is lately has been A LOT.  She did it in her swing the other morning and it pooled underneath her, and her paci was completely covered if that gives you an idea of how much this child spitting up in the mornings.   So, manage the over active letdown?  What about the engorgement?  Is there anything I can do so I don't wake up so engorged?  It wakes me up at times as well, but like I said, it's not every morning. 

Hmmm. Cold pack at bedtime comes to mind. You can get gel packs that go in the freezer...they aren't messy like ice packs can be.

Keep towels in bed. I slept on a double layer of thick towels to handle any kind of fluid.

eema.gray
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Keep towels in bed. I slept on a double layer of thick towels to handle any kind of fluid.

Oh man, this brings back memories!  I slept on towels while nursing my son for the better part of his first year.  I didn't figure out that our "issues" were OALD and oversupply until he was three, going on four months so even with block feeding, it took a LOOOOOOOOOONG time for my supply to regulate.  There were mornings when I woke up to find my bra soaked, the towels soaked and my husband's back wet as well.

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)