Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BFing/cosleeping transitioning to BFing/crib sleeping and other sleep issues

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM
  • 7 Replies

My almost 5 month old is EBF(no formula) and gets a little bit of baby oatmeal 1x a day every couple of days. I feed on demand, so she nurses every 2 hours and sometimes sooner. We cosleep, because it is just easier for me to do so I can get a semi-reasonable amount of sleep before I go to school in the mornings. Here is my problem. She doesn't seem to want to go to sleep unless she nurses to sleep or falls asleep in the car/carseat while running errands.

How can I get her to fall asleep without falling asleep after/during nursing?  She doesn't like to be rocked, because I guess she equates laying in my arms to time to nurse. Personally, I think she is still just a little young to CIO.

We tried to have her sleep in the bassinet, but after the first night feeding it was just easier to keep her in bed. We're going to start transitioning her to the crib in the next two weeks(after school is out), but I still want some suggestions for any problems we might have. We didn't have this problem with our 25 month old, because she was FF and was STTN before 6 months, so I am sort of clueless here. Any suggestions?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mwilt
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:38 PM

i dunno.. i ebf my one month old. weve already moved him to his own room and bed. he slept with me for the first 3 weeks or so but he does great in his on bed...actually he does better. he has a music box that i turn on for him and he likes it alot. sorry, im not much help! GL!

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Sorry, I can't help. My almost 15 mo is still cosleeping with us. Here's a bump for you though!

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Patience. This is something she needs to grow into. And at five months, there's still a lot of growing for her to do.

AppleJuiceBox
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Hi Trish, 

Good for you for breastfeeding and co sleeping!

My first question would be the need for transitioning your daughter.  Because she seems to still be nursing very frequently, this could potentially  invite early weaning, slower weight gain, SIDS and even seperation anxiety.  If you have the ability to use a co-sleeper that rolls to the side of your bed that might make it easier for you to have her near you but not in your bed.  If this is for unnavoidable reasons I would suggest you take it slowly.  Every time she sleeps at home, place her in the crib once she is asleep.  This can help adjust her to the crib. 

Same with after each night feeding.  If you are serious about transitioning her to the crib then you'll be getting less sleep at night while she adjusts to the schedule.  You may want to feed her a little oatmeal before bedtime to help lessen the frequency of night nursing. 

Your milk supply will adjust to less night feedings, but be careful not to let it drop to much or it can be a bear to build back up again.

Everything said aside, I'm sure that whatever you figure out will be fine for you and your daughter.  Good luck Mama!

lifetimelove
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:28 AM

I still nurse my 20 month old to sleep.  Since I'm a big believer in soothing babies to sleep, nursing is the easiest way to do it, so if it works, why change it?

MrsNocke
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I wonder this myself. but I am not pushing it. my son is 15 months old and still co sleeps and EBF. I am his binky and I still nurse him to sleep. I am hoping he just decides he doesn't want to do it anymore.

Holly.Nichole
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:43 AM

My 11 month old is still nursing at night and cosleeping as well so i may not be much help but if you really don't want to cosleep anymore I would suggest either getting one of those cosleepers that go against your bed unless you want her in her own room all together. If so then I agree with another person, it's going to take awhile and take alot of patiences and lack of sleep on your part. She's still very young and this probably won't be easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)