• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal...?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

My dd has been breastfed and supplemented for the whole 10 weeks shehas been here.  The last 2-3 weeks I have been spotting.  Some days bright red like a light period, others light pink, and still others brown.  Is this a "period" or do you spot while you nurse?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mwilt
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:54 PM

i never had a period when i was bf my daughter but i was ebf. i kinda spot now (i ebf a 1 month old) but i think its just cause i am only one month pp...

marlenecpm
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Spotting in this time frame is usually a sign you have been working too hard, or  lifted something too heavy, and has put stress on your still healing placental site. It could also be implantation bleeding, but more likely you have just been overdoing it... lifting your toddler perhaps?  

Misery_Stitches
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I got my period back straight away when I was breastfeeding my daughter. I had the PP bleeding for 2 weeks, then got my period back a week after that and regularly every month there after

I am now 8 weeks PP with my son and dont have it yet. Im hoping I get to be one of the lucky ones this time lol

Daynaof3
by on May. 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Where you are supplementing I would be extremely careful if you are sexually active and don't want to get pregnant.

It can be your cycle has returned, it could also be a sign of pregnancy. If you're unsure I would test to be safe.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Sounds like a period. Could be because of the supplementing.  It's normal though.

jorjaaubri
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Not pregnancy for sure!

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 3, 2010 at 2:59 PM

It's normal for your period to return when you're supplementing...I think that's what's going here.

Gruntlings
by on May. 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM

If you supplement, your period comes back more quickly. Some moms "spot" though their first couple of cycles. Some moms find that when they discontinue supplementing their period stops.

Sounds about normal. If you experience heavy bleeding or pass clots, give your OB-Gyn a call. Spotting usually isn't anything to worry about, though. 

Definitely make sure you're using some form of birth control. Just avoid any methods that might interfere with supply (such as anything that contains hormones. The mini pill is generally safe, but CAN cause issues with supply in some moms.) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)