Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 hour energy shots and breastfeeding?

Posted by on May. 7, 2010 at 6:51 PM
  • 14 Replies

Is it so terrible? I can barely move without caffiene andI was drinking like 6-8 Cokes a day. Now I can get by with one 5 hour energy shot, but I feel bad...It doesn't see, to affect the baby at all.

by on May. 7, 2010 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kelfitz
by on May. 7, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I would look into the ingredients, and look them up. Wow! All that coke, i'm jealous, couldn't do more than 3 coffees a day.

NichonasMama
by on May. 7, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I suppose everyone is different, so the absorption is probably a little different.  I personally would be shaking and jittery if I had that much.  My question is actually more from a physiology standpoint.  Does excess caffeine get flushed out of the bloodstream by your liver and kidneys before or after it gets to the baby? I don't know, and I don't even remember if it's in my textbooks from college.  The books I have left are still packed away somewhere in the garage.  I would LOVE to know the science behind it.  Does anyone know a book that goes into the actual physiology of it?

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 7, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I'm pretty sure (without actually looking, I can't know for sure) that the amount of caffeine in those shots is WAAAAAAAY beyond what a nursing mom is supposed to be having.  Not to mention the havoc thsoe things wreak on your heart (nursing or not - they give you a jump start that is just not healthy).  Personally, I would consider weaning from the caffeine and finding other ways to boost my energy - for my own health and my baby's.

Ammie25
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM

It is possible to wean yourself from caffiene.

I used to drink 3-4 cups a day. Once I found out I was preggo, I tried to quit cold turkey and got a withdrawal migraine for about 3 days straight.

So I slowly weaned myself off caffiene. I put off drinking a cup of coffee for as long as possible each day, until I absolutely needed it (which was a migraine coming on.) At first it was an hour, but eventually, I got thru an entire day without any caffiene.

I now only drink 1 cup/day unless I get a migraine, then I'll have a cup of Java or a coke with a couple Tylenol.

Even pre-pregnancy, my doc suggested 1 cup of coffee MAX, for my own well being (due to the migraines.)

abstractmommy
by on May. 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM

It says on the bottle that one shot is equal to the caffiene in 1 cup of coffee.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

I'm pretty sure (without actually looking, I can't know for sure) that the amount of caffeine in those shots is WAAAAAAAY beyond what a nursing mom is supposed to be having.  Not to mention the havoc thsoe things wreak on your heart (nursing or not - they give you a jump start that is just not healthy).  Personally, I would consider weaning from the caffeine and finding other ways to boost my energy - for my own health and my baby's.

Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2010 at 11:49 AM

it is not the caffiene but the B12 (Niacin) which increases your energy.  To avoid the other crap in the energy shot, try taking a B12 vitamin suppliment when you are down..........no more than 2 per day (like at breakfast, and mid afternoon).  Same results.......better for you and baby.  :)

KyriesMommy
by on May. 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Quoting Hottubgodess:

it is not the caffiene but the B12 (Niacin) which increases your energy.  To avoid the other crap in the energy shot, try taking a B12 vitamin suppliment when you are down..........no more than 2 per day (like at breakfast, and mid afternoon).  Same results.......better for you and baby.  :)

this is it excatally, I am actually needing to get another bottle of B12. I feel better also when I take them.

I am a vaxing, spank when needed, non-circing, non-cio, co-sleeping, bfing, I also FF, cloth diapering, my children watch TV, foward faced DD at one, will ERF my DS, just put DD back in a 5 point harness after she has not been in one for a year. I learn as I go and change my parenting style to what suits my current beliefs.

abstractmommy
by on May. 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Great! Thanks...I'll  try it!

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Tanya12
by on May. 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM

You drank 6-8 cokes a day when you were pregnant!?

ChesterGirl
by on May. 8, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Actually in the 5 hour energy shots there is only about as much caffeine as ONE cup of coffee . They are basically a vitamin overdose . lol . They contain b12 and b6 , same is if you went to the doctor to get an injection . I have adult ADD , so they dont do anything for my energy levels , but when Im feeling kind of tight I will take one , they seem to make my joints and muscles feel wonderful !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)