Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pumping question

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 11:09 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm not good at pumping, I'm getting a little better though.  I try to pump every morning and get at the most 3oz, but most of the time its less, and it depends on if my baby wakes durring the night.  Well I'm trying to get a good supply in the freezer (I have maybe 30oz so far) but my baby is starting to eat cereal now.  Right now I use 1oz for her cereal but eventual she'll be eating more of it, and I'd rather not break into the stash I have for cereal at least not all the time.  I took fenugreek before because we though I might have had a low supply (daughters weight gain is slowing.)   However I didn't pump everyday then.  If I started taking it agian for a while would it boost my supply so I might be able to pump more?  I try pumping at night and hardly get any, but dd used to eat every 2hrs and it just starting to go every 4 so I'll have more chances in the day to pump.  Anyway if I used fenugreek once would it work if I started agian?

by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
N1mom2MichnRena
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 11:22 AM
Well I can tell you that when I was pumping before while my daughter was in the nicu.  Once she had been breastfeeding , the pump suction did not work well at all I got less and less and it stressed me out so I stopped.  But the best way to get your supply going is breastfeed more and pump more if ithe pump is working. Sometimes our chest get use to the baby suction and the pump just not strong enough. I know I didn't really answer the question exactly but I know that the pump changed for me over time.  Plus breastmilk doesn't last that long, I had to get rid of most of mine.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 13, 2007 at 11:35 AM
Yes, it will.
TFMmom
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 11:47 AM
My son is a 9 weeks old, and I've been pumping for a couple of weeks now. I am most successful first thing in the morning. I try to feed him from only one side from 3am onward, that way by 8am, I'm very full on the other side, and I can get pretty good production - sometimes a full 5 ounces from that single side! If I pump later in the day, I get a lot less. Also, I seem to get better results from my right breast rather than the left; I have no idea why. The other advice that I've gotten is to drink a lot of water. But I'm still pretty new at this myself, so I'll be curious to hear what other advice the moms here have to give.
twotinytuckers
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 11:54 AM
      How old is your baby? I was curious if this is early on or what your situation is. Pumping for me was always slow going. I mostly did it for the early egorgement, and so I could leave her with other people and she would not need me in 2 hours. But somehow I did build up quite a freezer supply as time went on. Then with my 2nd daughter I heard that frozen breastmilk isn't nearly the caliber of fresh. I would freeze a bag and put the date right on it and half the time the milk smelled funny and she wouldn't drink it. I thought I was doing all the right things, but something wasn't right.
        I have never heard of fenugreek, but what I did try sucessfully was first replacing  1  and just 1  (unless  it doesn't work the first time) meal with formula, and then sitting to pump. Then you can either save that milk or feed the bottle/cup to her the next day, and continue this process. My daughters never liked cereal and the latest I have heard is that grains should be the last thing they are introduced to because they can cause later allergy problems, I am not trying to criticize I just think sometimes they try to get us to follow a certain schedule that may not be best for every baby. My girls refused any solid foods until 9 months and then went to jars of food and quickly to table food, yet continued to nurse. You can always add water to the cereal too water is something we all need.
      I envy you if your little one will take a bottle, my girls hated it. It was hit and miss, but mostly miss. But I never had to break them of a bottle they went straight to sippies! I don't know if this helps at all, it's just what I have experienced. I hope you find a solution! good luck and God Bless

TXArmyMom
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 12:14 PM
Just curious as to what other working moms can pump while at work I work from 7 to 4 with a hour commute each way. I pump on the way in and on the way back. (lol I wonder what people think Im got under my shirt, so far I manage to pump drive and have my one cup of coffee)
I pump at 6am, 10am, 1pm and 4pm

We  breast feed at 6:30 depending on when she ate at the sitters
and around 8 or 9pm

She eats 3 to 4  5oz bottles.  So sometimes 1 bottle gets supplemented with formula.

So I get about 15 to 16 oz pumped in a day
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)