Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice ASAP!!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

My DD is 4 weeks old today. Up until about 3 days ago, her diaper count was fine...about 8-10 a day. For the past 3 days, she has only had about 4-5 wet diapers and 1-2 poopy diapers. I have felt like she hasn't been getting enough for the past 2 weeks because she ALWAYS seems hungry even though I nurse her on demand but because her diaper count was good, I didn't worry too much...now I am a lot more worried! I am pretty sure that I am have enough because when she is done nursing, I can still squeeze milk out. 

At her pediatrician appt. last week, it also seemed as if she lost 4 ozs. She was 7.14 the week prior and when she went on Friday, she was 7.10. Her dr. said that it was "probably" a scale error and that she wasn't worried, but now she doesn't go back to the dr. for another month.

I really DON'T want to give her bottles at all, even breast milk. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance!!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
teachermama81
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:17 AM

You are looking for 6-8 diapers TOTAL, doesn't matter what's in them.  So you are still doing fine.  Plus, if the diaper is really wet, it counts for two.  Put 4Tbsp in a dry diaper to see what "one wet" feels like.  I bet you will be surprised.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 24, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Her diaper count sounds fine. She's going througha  growth spurt at 4 weeks . Oh & satisfied is not in a newborns vocab., NEVER look fgor satisfied.  If it were ME I would not worry, jsut nurse nurse nurse. Also dipe count is 6-8  dirty(wet and poopy) in 24 hrs. If she's getting 4-5 wets & 1-2 poopy she's fine.Stop worrying & enjoy that precious baby!

CALsMom0104
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

The first thing I would do is call your ped and tell them you want to come back in a week for a weight check.  My ped doesn't even make you have an appointment for that, they will just check the weight and fit you in if there is a problem.  The second suggestion is to just stop everything and nurse.  Don't do laundry, don't cook dinner, just nurse your baby and take care of yourself.  Drink lots of water and put your feet up. 

mgnlee6
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Everything sounds fine. If you are concerned tell your ped u want a weight check. They shouldbe able to help

*~Megan~*

in loveMegan & Patrick (12/23/2003)breastfeeding(Nathan 05/09/2009)

new_mom808
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I think it sounds fine. 5-7 diapers per day is fine. (wet and dirty doesnt matter which) The 4 oz apparent loss could be easily explained. Maybe she had eaten just before she was weighed last week and not this week. Increased nursing is fine and to be expected. Growth spurts happen. I think you're doing fine; just keep nursing on demand. :)

mommy2bella
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Thank you ladies!!!! I am not so worried now!!!:)

CafeMom Tickers
cconaway
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Sounds like the baby is doing fine to me. and scales do vary. i caught myself with a hand on the scale and we had to re-weigh the baby...good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Sounds like baby is doing fine, keep an eye on things and you should be fine.  There are ways to fix supply and other issues before bottles

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Quoting mommy2bella:

My DD is 4 weeks old today. Up until about 3 days ago, her diaper count was fine...about 8-10 a day.

Wow. Overachieving thr. **grin**

For the past 3 days, she has only had about 4-5 wet diapers and 1-2 poopy diapers.

Perfect.

I have felt like she hasn't been getting enough for the past 2 weeks because she ALWAYS seems hungry even though I nurse her on demand but because her diaper count was good, I didn't worry too much...

She's SUPPOSED to seem always hungry. That's insurance for her.

now I am a lot more worried! I am pretty sure that I am have enough because when she is done nursing, I can still squeeze milk out. 

At her pediatrician appt. last week, it also seemed as if she lost 4 ozs. She was 7.14 the week prior and when she went on Friday, she was 7.10. Her dr. said that it was "probably" a scale error and that she wasn't worried, but now she doesn't go back to the dr. for another month.

I really DON'T want to give her bottles at all, even breast milk. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance!!!

I agree that it was a scale error. Dipe count is good and if they DON'T always seem ravenous it's more worrisome to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)