Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i feel horrible!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM
  • 19 Replies

i have officially caved and gave into my SOs suggestion of using formula. i refuse to use only formula but i do use it 1-2x times a day. and i feel HORRIBLE about it! breast feeding is the one thing ive been so proud of! i didnt make it this long with my DD, so for me it's been a game i guess, to see how far i can make it. but the stress is getting to me! im constantly nursing! i was pumping for a while that way SO can take over a feeding or two and give me a break but then its like, if im not nursing, im pumping. well ive only started supplementing for a few days now, and the selfish side of me is coming out (im fighting it as hard as i can) but the thought of just using only formula keeps going through my mind.....HELP! 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
activitymode
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM

If you're feeling that stressed out about bfing then maybe you should supplement a few times a day.  It will affect your supply and you will probably end up going strictly formula though. 

miss_hughes
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM

oh and my DS's dr has been concerned since his 6wk check up. weve had a hard time getting him to gain weight. it took over a month just to get back to his birth weight, now his dr thinks hes really small for a 5 month old, and were constantly going in for weight checks...how do i know if maybe my breast milk isnt providing what it needs to be, and what can i do to help it? i think thats a reason why its so taunting and i want to give up on BFing...i keep wandering if the formula would be better for him and hell get more of what he needs

teachermama81
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:04 PM

MOds are going to ask for weights.  Birth weights, 1 week, 2 week, etc. Just telling ya so if you post them now they can help more later :)

Quoting miss_hughes:

oh and my DS's dr has been concerned since his 6wk check up. weve had a hard time getting him to gain weight. it took over a month just to get back to his birth weight, now his dr thinks hes really small for a 5 month old, and were constantly going in for weight checks...how do i know if maybe my breast milk isnt providing what it needs to be, and what can i do to help it? i think thats a reason why its so taunting and i want to give up on BFing...i keep wandering if the formula would be better for him and hell get more of what he needs

miss_hughes
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:06 PM

birth weight was 8lb 2oz. at about 6 weeks he was down to about 6 lbs. at almost 2 months he got back up to about 8lb. at his 4 month check up he was 12lbs. we go in a few days for his weight check.

Quoting teachermama81:

MOds are going to ask for weights.  Birth weights, 1 week, 2 week, etc. Just telling ya so if you post them now they can help more later :)

Quoting miss_hughes:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM

OK the weight thing...theres no such things a "small for 5 months old" theres NO set weight for certain ages.  If hes gaining a normal amount which for his age is 3.25-5 oz a week then he is FINE!!

Your breastmilk is perfect, it can't be anything other than perfect without YOU being 1/2 dead and even then your milk would be great.

Formula will never ever be better than your breastmilk, never ever.  Read up about what is IN breastmilk, what DHA and ARA in formula are made with and derived from, read up about how badly absorbed the nutrients in formula are, read about all the recalls, all the side effects.

Your breastmilk is awesome, formula can not compete with it.

Have you ever tried anything to raise supply to see if that is the issue?  Have you done block feeding to try to help with weightgain?

Can you give us his weights??

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM

LOL haha I just asked for weights..I'm a Mod

teachermama81
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM

what was he when he came home from the hospital?  Di dyou have a two week checkup?

Quoting miss_hughes:

birth weight was 8lb 2oz. at about 6 weeks he was down to about 6 lbs. at almost 2 months he got back up to about 8lb. at his 4 month check up he was 12lbs. we go in a few days for his weight check.

Quoting teachermama81:

Quoting miss_hughes:

miss_hughes
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:14 PM

they didnt weigh him the day we went home (the day after he was born) but that night he was born he was in the low 7s. at his 2 wk check up it was the same as when he came home

Quoting teachermama81:

what was he when he came home from the hospital?  Di dyou have a two week checkup?

Quoting miss_hughes:

Quoting teachermama81:

Quoting miss_hughes:

miss_hughes
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM

whats block feeding?

i dont think my supply is the problem. i cant even nurse him without him getting it everywhere. i was told that could be a "fast letdown"? and maybe i had too much of a supply

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

OK the weight thing...theres no such things a "small for 5 months old" theres NO set weight for certain ages.  If hes gaining a normal amount which for his age is 3.25-5 oz a week then he is FINE!!

Your breastmilk is perfect, it can't be anything other than perfect without YOU being 1/2 dead and even then your milk would be great.

Formula will never ever be better than your breastmilk, never ever.  Read up about what is IN breastmilk, what DHA and ARA in formula are made with and derived from, read up about how badly absorbed the nutrients in formula are, read about all the recalls, all the side effects.

Your breastmilk is awesome, formula can not compete with it.

Have you ever tried anything to raise supply to see if that is the issue?  Have you done block feeding to try to help with weightgain?

Can you give us his weights??

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM

UMMM he kept losing all the way to 6 weeks and NO ONE caught this?  Like did anyone refer you to a LC??  How were diapers? NOw going from 6lbs to 12lbs in 8 weeks is INSANE, no way thats right..thats a 12 oz a week gain..thats triple the norm.  HOW could the doctor say that he is small for his age?? UM hes not at all.  If there was NO supplimenting til recently he gained insane amounts.

I think there was something wrong with some scales somewhere!

I think you need a new doctor.

AND its not selfish to not want to use formula..if thats what you meant by your selfish side coming out.

Quoting miss_hughes:

Quoting teachermama81:

Quoting miss_hughes:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)