Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Restarting a Toddler with nursing??

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM
  • 18 Replies

My son is 19 months old and is allergic to cows milk. So at about 5.5 months old i had to stop nursing him because I was too unhealthy on the non dairy non soy diet. Oh ya he is allergic to soy too. So he went on special formula. We now provide him with goats milk and rice milk but it is VERY highly priced. We do both because of the nutrients in the goats milk and he is in love with rice milk. I am 23 weeks pregnant and am now considering relactating and starting him back up on nursing to save us money and it would be better for him of course. I do not consume hardly any cows milk dairy as I get the allergy while Im pregnant. They get it from daddy lol. Do you have any suggestions on how I can relactate but still be healthy for the pregnancy and any gentle ideas about guiding him to the breast and teaching him how to suckle again? Thank you so much.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomNtheRes
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM

BUMP! You might need to wait until you have the baby since you will have a new supply coming in in  just a few months anyhow- But I really have no clue and could be completely wrong. Good luck!

Susan0805
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM

It depends on the child. When had so many issues with breastfeeding dd so she ended up on soy formula, my son however has been breastfeed from the start. When ds was born dd was 18 months old and I tried to nurse her but she would not. I thought that she had lost the "sucking reflex" and no longer knew how. BUT as time went by she started to ask to nurse and taught herself how to nurse again. WHen I tried to get her to nurse she wouldnt but when I left it up to her she now nurses occasionally for comfort or if she's sick (or jealous and wants mommy time...lol) she will be 3 in august. So in other words, yes you can reintroduce nursing to an older child it just depends if it will work or not and I would still keep other milk on hand. Have you tried almond milk? I dont remember if its cheaper or not. There are ways to make it on your own but then again I know nuts are pretty expensive.

Susan0805
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:47 PM

oh, yeah I would wait till you have the baby also and establish I good latch/nurse with the new baby before you reintroduce the older child.

Quoting MomNtheRes:

BUMP! You might need to wait until you have the baby since you will have a new supply coming in in  just a few months anyhow- But I really have no clue and could be completely wrong. Good luck!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM

When the new baby is born you can reintroduce nursing or TRY to.  BUt as of now you can NOT relactate until baby comes.  Until baby comes you willhave colostrum and nothing will change that except delivering the placenta.

Now he may have lost his suck reflex by now and if not he may very well lose it before baby comes.  YOu can try to get him to nruse now and keep him nursing til milk comes in after baby comes but you have MONTHS before then and he will need the rice/goats milk til then.

NO fenugreek can be used to raise supply while pregnant as a warning.

lovingarmstrong
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Im curiousas to y it wouldnt be possible to relactate now? im already leaking so doesnt that mean its a possibility and will pumping and mothers milk help to get some milk in?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 4:07 PM

btw no human needs any animals milk...you can live your whole life with NO other animals milk.  Consider looking into finding alternatives to giving milk just in case.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM

you CAN NOT drink mothers milk tea, it has fenugreek and that can not be used in pregnancy.  Hormones now are preventing the making of milk, what you have now is colostrum, the estrogen and pregnancy hormones prevent milk from being made, prolactin is the hormone needed to make milk, prolactin is not released until the placenta is removed from the uterine wall.  Even if a mom is fully nursing when she gets pregnant her milk changes to colostrum, been there..my son is 3 and nursed my whole pregnany but by 13 weeks I had nothing, 18 weeks is when colostrum came in, milk came in within 40 hours of birth..I think maybe even before that because my newborn only lost 1 oz.  Pumping can also cause labor and is not recommended during pregnancy.

Quoting lovingarmstrong:

Im curiousas to y it wouldnt be possible to relactate now? im already leaking so doesnt that mean its a possibility and will pumping and mothers milk help to get some milk in?

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM

No mother's milk tea or galactagogues while pregnant. They are contraindicated.

Quoting lovingarmstrong:

OP...nothing at all wrong with your toddler drinking water. Best thing in the world for him, actually.

lovingarmstrong
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

He loves loves milk and cries and cries because i have to ration his milk. I was hoping to receive more support and advice on latching him on and getting at least a little bit for him to help cut down the cost. Right now he drinks mainly juice and water. But he really adores his milk first thing in the morning and right before bed. I know there are ways out there and according to kelly mom its not dangerous at all to nurse while pregnant and that the contracting most likely wont start labor early or anything. This is something I feel I need to do for him. If someone could give me some gentle ideas to get him to latch and suckle please that would be helpful.

Susan0805
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:35 PM

does he take a pacifier? When my dd first started to ask to nurse I was really nervous that she would bite me (and she did once) I told her you nurse mommy like you take a paci! And I kept reminding her to not bite me! I wouldnt try to nurse while preggo though. I would wait, it wont be that much longer until your little one comes.

Quoting lovingarmstrong:

He loves loves milk and cries and cries because i have to ration his milk. I was hoping to receive more support and advice on latching him on and getting at least a little bit for him to help cut down the cost. Right now he drinks mainly juice and water. But he really adores his milk first thing in the morning and right before bed. I know there are ways out there and according to kelly mom its not dangerous at all to nurse while pregnant and that the contracting most likely wont start labor early or anything. This is something I feel I need to do for him. If someone could give me some gentle ideas to get him to latch and suckle please that would be helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)