Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

supply issues

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:06 PM
  • 13 Replies

ok so as most of you know i am now pregnant with a surprise baby #3..well i have been fighting with my supply since i got pregnant and it seems to just be getting worse..i do not want to supplement, im not against formula but my son will not take a bottle so its just really not an option and i would like to try to hold out for 2more months till he is 12months old. so can any one help with any advice on how to get my supply up?..i have been trying to drink malt drinks but its kinda gross drinking it now that i am pregnant, and i have to sort of hold my nose and choke it down. i used to love the stuff but this pregnancy apparently doesnt love it..lol..so any other advice or anything i can take or try while pregnant to help supply?..

oh and the reasons i know my supply is low is because my son's diaper count is down (from like 6 a day to like 3-4). since a few days ago i have been sort of forcing him to nurse more often because he started to nurse only like 2-3times during the day (waking at 7-8am and going to bed at 8-9pm) and then like every 2hours at night (that is not a change for him but the day nursings is)..he eats yogurt for breakfast, one stage 2 baby food jar for lunch or dinner and little finger food snacks like cheerios during the day..he has also been teething and as of yesterday has been running a slight fever...so any advice on how to help would b greatly appreciated!
TIA 

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM

4-5 a day is what we look for at his current age. So you're actually not that bad.

Since you're pregnant, most galactagogues are off limits. Water and oatmeal are OK. And nursing over solids.

Bren07
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:25 PM

well the max lately that he has been having is 4diapers and thats the days he has a poopy, all other days is only 3 and thats with going 12hrs at night in one. i just worry, especially since we live in New Mexico and it has been in the 70's and 80'd lately..my first was formula fed so even at 10months of BF im still new at this..lol..what about those oatmeal cookies u can get at the store with the icing on them? would those work cuz i really dont like oatmeal..i have been offering water like once a day in a sippy cup too, is that ok? he usually just plays with it and gets more on him than in him though.

Quoting gdiamante:

4-5 a day is what we look for at his current age. So you're actually not that bad.

Since you're pregnant, most galactagogues are off limits. Water and oatmeal are OK. And nursing over solids.

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!

Bren07
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM

so i went and tried googeling stuff i could try and came across this-

Milder Galactagogues
If you are looking into trying a galactagogue, start with things like:

• alfalfa, work up to four capsules three times a day
  • marshmallow, work up to four capsules three times a day
  • nettle, work up to two capsules three times a day
  • dill, use two teaspoons of raw dill seed on your lunch and dinner or use it to brew a tea
  • blessed thistle, work up to three capsules three times a day.

These are much safer herbs. Most galactagogues are more effective when used in combination. Combining two or three is much more effective than just using one.

Pregnancy

Sometimes a mom finds herself needing to maintain a supply in order to nurse through a pregnancy. In some cases mom finds that the supply and demand system works out nicely and they have no problems nursing right through pregnancy. In other cases mom finds she needs a little help. There are mild galactagogues that are safe to take in pregnancy. These herbs can also be used in combination of two or three.

Nettle up to 2 capsules 3 times a day
Blessed Thistle up to 3 capsules 3 times a day
Dill up to 2 ml tincture 3 times a day
Marshmallow up to 4 capsules 3 times a day

DO NOT take fenugreek, fennel, or alfalfa while pregnant. 
http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/increasing-milk-supply.html 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Theres also a suppliment made my motherlove for pregnant nursing moms, look it up!

Bren07
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM

i tried looking it up is this it?
http://www.thebreastfeedingshoppe.com/product.sc;jsessionid=6C7B3605A809F69141AA1ED38A93392A.qscstrfrnt04?productId=505&categoryId=10

there is also this-
http://www.motherlove.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5901

cuz if so it says it is not for pregnant women.. 

ETA-oh here is its! this one says it is safe for pregnancy!-
http://www.motherlove.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=320

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Theres also a suppliment made my motherlove for pregnant nursing moms, look it up!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Yep the last one is right more milk two is safe as there is no fenugreek in it

Bren07
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:24 PM

thanks, i am going to talk to my hubby tonight about getting something this friday. and i think it may b that..have u used it? i just ask because i was wondering if you just take it orally or have to put it in like a drink cuz of the taste?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yep the last one is right more milk two is safe as there is no fenugreek in it

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I have used the other MMP stuff but it tastes nasty!!  You can mix it with a tiny bit of other liquid...

Bren07
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM

hhmm..well being pregnant i dont think i can stomach anything to nasty..lol..i think i will try one of those other things i found..like the marshmallow pills..

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I have used the other MMP stuff but it tastes nasty!!  You can mix it with a tiny bit of other liquid...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 24, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Yeah try the other stuff first, I found that I could handle the taste of nastiness if I mixed it with strong tasing drinks..like I had it with dr. pepper..sounds funny but with a chaser of Dr.pepper I couldn't taste it at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)