Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Benadryl safe to take?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have horrible allergies this year that have given me a really bad sinus headache. I know that Benadryl was safe to take during pregnancy....is it safe to take while breast feeding?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Forget-me-not
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I have to take it almost daiy for allergies, I just have to make sure I srink up since it is a drying medication.

angelbabies14
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM

yes you can find it on kellymom.com under approved meds.  it could effect your supply but may not.  I just took some the other day and all was fine.

Megan6432
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I always thought the mamas on here do not recommend taking Benadryl while nursing bc it can dry you up! I know that zyrtec is ok.. i think? i am sure one of the experts will be along soon and can verify that!

CafeMom Tickers
Forget-me-not
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:30 PM

It can but you can counterbalance that easily. My Son is ebf and just now introduced to solids and like I said I HAVE to take it.

Quoting Megan6432:

I always thought the mamas on here do not recommend taking Benadryl while nursing bc it can dry you up! I know that zyrtec is ok.. i think? i am sure one of the experts will be along soon and can verify that!

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

mombloggerJ
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM

As pp said, it's "safe" to take meaning it won't hurt you or baby.  In *some* women, it can affect supply.  I have always had an oversupply except the one time I took Benadryl.  I took one dose and it took me 3 days to get my supply back up.  It didn't "dry" me up, just knocked my supply down. . .and I did recover with lots of water and lots of nursing/pumping. .

LaceyN1121
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:21 AM

my dr and my 3 lactation consultants told me it was ok, but encouraged me to take fenugreek while taking the benedryl since its a drying medicine, the fenugreek will keep your milk supply up, and once its up where you need it to be you can stop taking it and it will stay.... It has worked for me, I only had to take fenugreek for 2 days with benedryl and my supply stayed just where it needed to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)