Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meloxicam...Not much on LactMed....

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

I messed up my hip last weekend and finally went to the doctor. I have a Bursa Sac inflammed. Well the treat it she put me on Meloxicam. She said that needed to be treated with an anti-inflammatory. I looked on LactMed and not much on it.

Does anyone know if I can take it? Just FYI-my son is 17 months and nurses 3-4 times a day. I will only be taking it at night.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Looks like it's too new...I can't find a darned thing.  Here's what kellymom has on NSAIDs.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics (NSAIDs) [more]
Azapropazone (apazone) Rheumox Approved - L2
Dipyrone (banned in the US & UK) - Approved - NR
Flufenamic acid - Approved - NR
Ibuprofen Advil, Nuprin, Motrin, Pediaprofin Approved B (1st, 2nd trim.)
D (3rd trim.)
L1
Indomethacin Indocin Approved B (1st, 2nd trim.)
D (3rd trim.)
L3
Ketorolac Toradol, Acular Approved B (1st, 2nd trim.)
D (3rd trim.)
L2
Mefenamic acid Ponstan, Ponstel Approved - NR
Naproxen Anaprox, Naprosyn, Naproxen, Aleve Approved B L3
L4 (for chronic use)
Phenylbutazone Butazolidine Approved - NR
Piroxicam Feldene Approved B L2
Suprofen Profenal Approved - NR
Tolmetin Tolectin Approved C L3
palexander
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Same gdiamante. I have been taking Aleve but it wasn't doing anything to help. When I told my doctor, she said that Naproxen wasn't strong enough.

I did just take one so I will see what the effects are. My son won't nurse till at least 2a.m. if not 7a.m. If I notice an effect then I won't take it. Honestly, as long it doesn't affect my son, then I am not super worried. I am one month from my goal and then anything more is just bonus.

Hottubgodess
by on May. 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Per Dr Hale MMM - L3 - Not reviewed.  No pediatric concerns via breastmilk reported.  No human studies..but rodent studies do show it passes into breastmilk.  Another NSAID would be probably perferrable.  Alternatives - Ibuprofen and celecoxib (celebrex). 

Sorry, not much more info here for you.  Get well soon.  :) 

Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Are you tired of BAD Breastfeeding information?  Go to www.llli.org and search the resources for REAL CORRECT info. 

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam ...... Thank you Popeye!   BEHOLD!  THE POWER OF BREASTMILK!!!   Proud momma of two self weaning, extended breastfed preemie boys!

palexander
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM

I know it sucks. I did take one last night and nothing happened. I took another tonight so we will see how it is affects  my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)