Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT- BUT NEED ADVICE...SICK BABY

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

OKay ladies..my 11month ds has had a fever for going on 2 days! it has gone from 100-104!  we went to the doc today and she said his ears a perfect, throat is great, and his lab work came back normal, so they don't know why he has a fever! they said that if he still has a fever in the next two days to bring him back in...my dh and i are starting to worry, we don't understand why he has a fever!! He's still playing around, and smiling, he has had a little runny nose but nothing serious! WE'RE CLUELESS!  ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME ..PLEASE...

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM

uti?

Megan.Aber
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM
That's what they said too, but his pee smells the same and he doesn't get fussy when he pees, he hasn't had a lot of wet diapers, he has just not as wet as usual.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wife2003
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM
Unfortunatly it sounds viral... Have to let it run it's course :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wife2003
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM
They didn't want to do a UA?

Quoting Megan.Aber:

That's what they said too, but his pee smells the same and he doesn't get fussy when he pees, he hasn't had a lot of wet diapers, he has just not as wet as usual.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan.Aber
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:25 AM
No they didn't do a UA...they did say that it was probably viral, but his lab work was normal, so we don't know what to think! I'm so sad. This is the first time my babys ever been sick..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Curlgurl
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I have no idea if this is what it is and I don't know what lab work they did, but I heard from one of the docs I work with that the majority of people get mono as kids and never really know it cause they don't get as sick.  Most of the time it just shows up as an unexplained fever for several days.  If that's the case there isn't really anything they can do cause it's viral, but do keep an eye on the fever and make sure to call your ped if it gets too high.

JJRsMomma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:59 AM

I agree this sounds familiar to what my daughter had and she got passed it. We applied cool wet cloths to her head for comfort.

Quoting Wife2003:

Unfortunatly it sounds viral... Have to let it run it's course :(

I am a proud stay at home mother to a very inquisitive, vivacious 21 MO daughter. I am non-vaccinating, extended breastfeeding, non-processed food eating, anti-meat dairy eggs (vegan), animal lover, research junky, family oriented, pro-life, evolutionist, conspiracy theory-ist wanna-be chef, Arizonan.

new_mom808
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Fever means the immune system is working to fight something. This is good. The immune system is WORKING. In and of itself it is not to worry about. He may be teething. Have you tried stripping him down to his diaper, or cool cloth, or ice chips to bring down the temp? Usually if he's still eating, nursing, playing this is a GREAT sign.

mama02040608
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM

It's probably a virus of some sort, and usually there is nothing to do but ride it out.  As long as the baby is a reasonable version of herself (i.e. eating, sleeping and playing fairly normally) there's nothing to do but keep her hydrated and comfortable and watchfully wait.  If anything seems otherwise amiss, call your pedi.

preacherskid
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I agree with PP, it is probably viral.  One thing- with a fever getting up to 104, you should keep a close eye out for dehydration.  DD ran a 104 fever when she was younger, within hours of the fever starting she was severely dehydrated and had to get iv fluids in the hospital.  Don't wanna scare you, but she went from happy to acting like she felt kind of icky to dehydrated and the fever not coming down in less than a day.  Dehydration can happen fast in babies.   If he gets dehydrated and refuses fluids(that's why DD got so bad-she didn't want any fluids and nursed only when she absolutely had to), you should call the ped asap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)