Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get my 4 month old to poop

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM
  • 7 Replies

So my daughter just turned 4months this week and is EBF. For the first few months she pooed all the time and then for the last month it has just been every three or four days. But this week she hasn't pooped in 6 days! All of her poops have been normal runny breastfed poops and she isn't straining or fussy. Do you think its okay to go a couple more days before calling her pediatrician? Do you ladies have any advice? I prefer not to give her any juice or food because i am hoping on waiting till 6 months at least  for that. But any advice would be great!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM

that happened with my daughter too. the doctor told me never let it go more than a week. try giving one ounce pear juice mixed with one ounce water. also i had to do suppositories with her a few times. but i would call the pediatrician to see what she recommends for your baby.

acaisha
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM

totally normal for breast fed babies to go a week or ten days without pooping. all four of mine did that, I could always tell when they were going to have a poop day because they got nasty farts. Here is some info 

"After six weeks, it's normal for some babies to have fewer bowel movements, though others may continue having frequent ones. Don't be alarmed if your baby has a bowel movement only once a week. He's not constipated unless his stools are hard and dry. If your baby's producing loose, unformed stools with a pea soup consistency and cottage cheese-like curds, he's getting a good balance of foremilk and hindmilk. Don't be concerned if his diaper overflows!"

http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-many-times-a-day-does-a-breastfed-baby-normally-poop_8832.bc]

Curlgurl
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:13 AM

If you are concerned you could take a rectal temp just to stimulate the anal sphincter.  Sometimes that will work if you don't wanna try the juice thing.  That's probably what I would try although I know that it is normal for BF babies to go only once a week. 

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Leave her butt alone. **grin** Unless she is struggling to pass hard dry pellets there is no problem. Record for no poop in this group is 20 days!

Just let her be. The poops are fine, SHE is fine. You need do nothing.

lifetimelove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Oh, no no no.  As long as the poop isn't hard pebbles, and baby isn't screaming trying to go, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to do suppositories, give juice, or whatever to help baby go poop, no matter if it's been 6 days or two weeks.  Breastfed babies can go WEEKS without pooping without any issue.  As long as they're over a month old, going days without pooping is NOT an issue.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

that happened with my daughter too. the doctor told me never let it go more than a week. try giving one ounce pear juice mixed with one ounce water. also i had to do suppositories with her a few times. but i would call the pediatrician to see what she recommends for your baby.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Leave her butt alone. **grin** Unless she is struggling to pass hard dry pellets there is no problem. Record for no poop in this group is 20 days!

Just let her be. The poops are fine, SHE is fine. You need do nothing.

yup totally agree here. Here's an article written by a doctor too if it makes you feel better: http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

Last paragraph of the article states:

There is something important to point out regarding frequency of stooling in an exclusively breastfed baby.  Many parents are concerned when after the early weeks where they may have been seeing a little bowel movement in almost every diaper, they suddenly begin to see days go by without any.  This is perfectly normal.  There is a great range of frequency of bowel movements with exclusively breastfed infants, ranging from a couple of times a day to several days.  There are completely healthy nursing babies that have a bowel movement once a week, once every ten days, or even a few that go a bit longer. If your baby is healthy, developing well, nursing well and the consistency of the bowel movement when it does make its appearance is soft or loose, then do not be concerned.  It is not constipation if it arrives in soft form.  Constipation would arrive in pellets and hard formed pieces.

Are You a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor?
                Click this link and join us!

Want Breastfeeding Gear, visit my shop:

http://www.cafepress.com/BFgear

shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM

doctor told me to do suppositories. her stomach was hard and the doctor said she needed to get it out. it worked. and she was happy as can be.

Quoting lifetimelove:

Oh, no no no.  As long as the poop isn't hard pebbles, and baby isn't screaming trying to go, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to do suppositories, give juice, or whatever to help baby go poop, no matter if it's been 6 days or two weeks.  Breastfed babies can go WEEKS without pooping without any issue.  As long as they're over a month old, going days without pooping is NOT an issue.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)