Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I start breastfeeding again??

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:10 AM
  • 5 Replies
My dd is six weeks old. When she was born I had severe anxiety and panic attacks. I had to be put on zanex and couldn't breastfeed. I then started taking birth control pills
I am on my non medicine pills right now, so is all that out of my system? How would I get my milk
back in? I do still have some coming out if I expell myself. Any help you can give me would be great. Also I am taking 40 mg of paxil daily, would this be a problem??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Xanax? You never had to stop.Paxil is also fine.

Google relactation...you'll find tons of info. It will be hard work, especially if you were on estrogen birth control. But it can be done.

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:26 AM

ditto

Quoting gdiamante:

Google relactation...you'll find tons of info. It will be hard work, especially if you were on estrogen birth control. But it can be done.

Are You a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor?
                Click this link and join us!

Want Breastfeeding Gear, visit my shop:

http://www.cafepress.com/BFgear

jjones0461
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:28 AM
Really. The ped. told me that I couldn't bf while taking it. Well that sucks.

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I'm so sorry.  Doctors are the worst people to go to for breastfeeding advice (usually), especially as it relates to medication.  The national institute of Health has a website that tells you what medications are safe to take while breastfeeding, I think the resource sticky has a link.

But yes, you can definately do it, you just have to be really persistent.  I also recommend using an SNS to help get him back to the breast.  The best way to go about it would be to get help from an IBCLC.  You'll probably pay out of pocket, but it'll be a lot cheaper than what you'd end up spending on formula.  =)

You're off the birth control pills, right?

Quoting jjones0461:

Quoting gdiamante:

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

jjones0461
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:32 AM
Yea I have already stopped the bc pills.

Quoting lifetimelove:

I'm so sorry.  Doctors are the worst people to go to for breastfeeding advice (usually), especially as it relates to medication.  The national institute of Health has a website that tells you what medications are safe to take while breastfeeding, I think the resource sticky has a link.

But yes, you can definately do it, you just have to be really persistent.  I also recommend using an SNS to help get him back to the breast.  The best way to go about it would be to get help from an IBCLC.  You'll probably pay out of pocket, but it'll be a lot cheaper than what you'd end up spending on formula.  =)

You're off the birth control pills, right?

Quoting jjones0461:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)