Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about donated breastmilk

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:18 AM
  • 10 Replies

To get it, is it free?
Does the milk go through any testing to make sure there are no drugs or diseases or anything?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:21 AM

It's not free unless you have a baby who is a preemie or has a condition that they will prescribe it for. You have to pay by the ounce and it's expensive.

They test the donors and they test the milk.

chelleybeans
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Do you get paid if you donate breastmilk then?

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Quoting chelleybeans:

Do you get paid if you donate breastmilk then?

no, they provide you with the pump, storage containers, etc. and pay shipping on the milk.

Are You a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor?
                Click this link and join us!

Want Breastfeeding Gear, visit my shop:

http://www.cafepress.com/BFgear

ilovemyjoes
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:24 AM

It's donated, so yep, free. :)  A lot of recipients will pay for supplies (bags, etc.) and shipping if necessary though.

If you get it from a milk bank, it's pasteurized.  Not sure if it's all tested though.  If you get it from a donor, it's not tested but you can ask for blood work results so you know they're healthy.

You should check out milkshare, there's TONs of info there.

ilovemyjoes
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:25 AM

That's from a milk bank though, right?  I didn't know they charged...

Quoting Daynaof3:

It's not free unless you have a baby who is a preemie or has a condition that they will prescribe it for. You have to pay by the ounce and it's expensive.

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Yes milk banks charge for milk if your insurance won't cover it, and many times they don't because they don't see it as a necessity. It irks me that they will pay for special formulas in most cases but not milk bank milk. Also forgot to mention you have to have a prescription for it even if you are paying as well.

Quoting ilovemyjoes:

That's from a milk bank though, right?  I didn't know they charged...

Quoting Daynaof3:

Are You a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor?
                Click this link and join us!

Want Breastfeeding Gear, visit my shop:

http://www.cafepress.com/BFgear

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:28 AM
Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:36 AM

OP please specify if you are talking about a milk share program or a milk bank, it's hard to answer your question not knowing the specific place you are talking about. I figured you were talking about a milk bank because you mentioned testing the milk.

chelleybeans
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:50 AM

Sorry, I didn't know you could get it from a milk bank OR a donor. I don't know much about it all. Wish I had before though. Really I don't have a specification, I would like to know about both if I could. I will check out  the sites given! Thanks! And I think you have answered my questions. :) 

JJRsMomma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Wow! That is so absurd. I never knew it wasn't covered under insurance policies unlike formula. What has this world come to.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Yes milk banks charge for milk if your insurance won't cover it, and many times they don't because they don't see it as a necessity. It irks me that they will pay for special formulas in most cases but not milk bank milk. Also forgot to mention you have to have a prescription for it even if you are paying as well.

I am a proud stay at home mother to a very inquisitive, vivacious 21 MO daughter. I am non-vaccinating, extended breastfeeding, non-processed food eating, anti-meat dairy eggs (vegan), animal lover, research junky, family oriented, pro-life, evolutionist, conspiracy theory-ist wanna-be chef, Arizonan.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)