• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I really need to??

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM
  • 6 Replies

My youngest is 5 1/2 months, and she's exclusively breast fed. Never had a bottle of anything! I took her in for a check up yesterday, and while the doctor said she's doing great, she suggested that I start giving her rice ceral once a day to get her used to eating from a spoon. My DH and I both don't think that's really necessary, since I don't plan on starting her on solids until at least 7 months (if not longer). I also don't like the idea of rice ceral. It tastes yucky, and why give her something if I wouldn't want to eat it? I'm planning on making my own food for her when she gets to that point (while the doctor's talking about stage one foods....ewww) so I know what's in it. What do you ladies think?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LKRA
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Short answer: Nope. :)

new_mom808
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Completely un necessary. If you wait until the 7 month mark like you said you really will be able to skip cereals altoghther.
We made our own baby food starting @ 6 months. One of the most rewarding things I've done so far as a parent. It made me feel almost as good as breastfeeding. There are people who even recomend skipping purees altogether. Jumping right into soft whole foods. smashed avacado, ripe pears, steamed carrots etc. Definately wouldnt start on ANY of it this early. Boooo bad pediatrician.

marie85
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:34 AM

No its not nessasary.

MoriahL
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I did real food too! The rice cereal does not taste that bad it is just plain. They are used to plain.

Making your own food is great! Mine were eating table food (not squashed up) at 6-7 months. I would make vegs soft etc. No meat until older.

Good Luck!

Moriah- SAHM and WAHM and loving it!

http://www.WorkingGreenMoms.com

If you knew it was toxic would you use it?
http://www.NaturallySafeHomes.com

rockinmomto2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:35 AM

That's what DH and I were talking about last night....maybe just skipping the pureed foods all together and jumping into finger foods. With my oldest two, I jumped into food way too soon, and I want to give the baby the best start I can.

Quoting new_mom808:

Completely un necessary. If you wait until the 7 month mark like you said you really will be able to skip cereals altoghther.
We made our own baby food starting @ 6 months. One of the most rewarding things I've done so far as a parent. It made me feel almost as good as breastfeeding. There are people who even recomend skipping purees altogether. Jumping right into soft whole foods. smashed avacado, ripe pears, steamed carrots etc. Definately wouldnt start on ANY of it this early. Boooo bad pediatrician.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Its not needed, heck neither is spoon feeding for that matter, look into baby led weaning.  She can try her first foods when she feeds herself with her hands and NOT cereal, UGH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)