Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

night nursing question, is this normal??

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM
  • 33 Replies

I want to start out by saying that I am NOT concerned about this. But I want to prove to a friend that this is "normal" behavior for a breastfed baby.

Sean is 6 months old (will be 7 month on the 9th). He is EBF, no bottles or pacis. I nurse him on demand. Every night he'll nurse before bed (of course) this sesion can take anywhere from 30 mins to an hour. During this time he may fall asleep or he'll just lay there looking at me, watching his daddy walk by, or just staring off into space. If he falls asleep 98% of the time he'll wake up and be awake when I put him in his crib. Some nights he'll lay back there and "talk" for 30 mins or so. Other nights he'll roll over and go right to sleep. He sleeps a minimum of 6 hours before waking up to nurse (if he wakes up at all through out the night).

I was talking to a friend of mine about how good he is with going to sleep and she asked me what I meant. I told her all that I typed above. Well she starts on me about how that isn't "normal" especially for breastfed baby's. That if he's still awake when I put him down for the night, that means he didnt' get enough to eat and I might want to think about giving him formula for his night time feeding.

I call complete and udder BS on this. I think he is perfectlty fine. Hubby and I comment to each other about how he's already showing his independance and doesn't need us to fall asleep (we see this as a GREAT thing).

What do you ladies think? Am I right or being naive as she told me I am.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Skys_mommy86
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM
You're right. You don't want a child to have to depend on you to go to sleep, and you're lucky. My 6 month old only sleeps 4 hours at a time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Skys_mommy86
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM
And I EBF as well.

Quoting Skys_mommy86:

You're right. You don't want a child to have to depend on you to go to sleep, and you're lucky. My 6 month old only sleeps 4 hours at a time!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChazznRoccosmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Don't listen to her. Your baby is fine.

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (7y)         Rocco (4y)         Joey (20m) 

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who still loves her tattoos, piercings and hair dye

bethany169
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I think that your son is doing great--the fact that you can put him down awake and he is cool with falling asleep on his own is HUGE!!  The only way to tell if he didn't get enough to eat is if he isn't making enough wet diapers and he's not gaining weight. 

If your friend is talking about giving him formula, she obviously doesn't know what's "normal" for a breastfed baby :)

JamesAndMe
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM

This is fine. 

It's not "independence" tho.. It's just his personality for the moment - he likes low stimulation to fall asleep.  It could still change.

You are being naive but not about your baby's behavior being abnormal.. Cluster nursing then babbling to sleep is normal.  Waking up after 6 hours is AWESOME for 6 months - many babes are still getting up every 2-3 hours at 6 months.   Normal tho yes.

It's assuming he's "independent" where you are missing the mark. .. No 6 month old is "independent"... They are either secure or not or comfortable or not. lol  Wait til separation anxiety kicks in soon - it'll be a sign the attachment is secure but you will think your LO is "overly dependent" because your LO will need you more / may need you to fall asleep more / may wake up more / make cry when you lie him down/leave the room... just judging by your frame of thinking.  Try very hard not to think that way or push your LO to be "independent" of you this young.  It will probably seriously backfire on you later. 

As for your friend.  She speaks utter hogwash.

kemclaughlin
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Not only is this normal, it's really good that you can put baby down awake and have him fall asleep on his own.  That is a huge milestone.

Karen01060
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I think your baby goes to sleep more easily and sleeps more than the AVERAGE breastfed baby that age.  But AVERAGE is different from normal -- average is the middle and it is normal to have babies that sleep more or less than the average.  If your baby is wetting enough diapers (I forget it  that is 4-6 or 6-8 at that age) and is gaining weight and continuing to develop, he is fine. 

trist22
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Quoting kemclaughlin:

Not only is this normal, it's really good that you can put baby down awake and have him fall asleep on his own.  That is a huge milestone.

I agree HUGE milestone!!!!  My EBF baby would wake and "night feed" out of habit until he was a year old. I finally had to use the cry it out method ( which thankfully worked within 2 nights!) and now he is sleeping through the night ( 14 mo. old)..  So you are doing the right thing by putting him down drowsy and letting him learn to soothe himself to sleep. Your friend is silly.. It isn't any different for formula fed babies! You surely wouldn't let them fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth and then put them down ( for the same reason!)

JamesAndMe
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

You guys are forgetting about separation anxiety (which starts and gets progressively worse between 9-18 months and tapers down after), milestones (the first 2 years are jammed with these), growth spurts (common at 6 months and 10 months and 1 year and 18 months), teething (6 months is common, at 1 year molars sometimes appear as well), etc.  It is not habit.  It is need.  They need you for their comfort and security..

Babies and infants do not generally self-sooth.  They either are happy being in a low stimulation situation (for now) or give up on their care-giver.  The former is fine, but could change.  The latter is, IMO, cruel.

srbtab1999
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM
Your friend doesn't sound like she has Bf before. My little man who will be 7 months on the 29th will do cluster nursing at night and similar to urs before he falls asleep at time and at other time he will fall asleep at the wheel... Lol. After his last session he will go anywhere from 6hrs to 8hrs before waking up again. Every baby is different and sounds like urs is doing awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)