Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

regreting my decision to breastfeed?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM
  • 15 Replies

my 4th son now 22 months is my only successful breast fed child and I am so happy i was finally able to do it with the help of classes and reading.but he is my smallest child only weighing 24lb and 18 m cloths fall off him.he is so picky and dont like to eat food(only some cereal,pancakes and waffles) and only sips here and there whole milk and juice.all he doese is want to bf.i feel so bad like im neglecting him.Im just so used to my first 3 sons being in the 90th percentile and their clothes fitting them how they shoould if they were 2 they fit a 2t and so on.i just look at my 4th son and see how skinny he is and think did i make the right choice for him?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeanneC
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM

It's genetic, sweetie.    They're all different and they're all built differently.  My first was a tiny little guy and I figured I just made small, thin children... then came my second who was huge from birth and continues to be large.  We call him dozer... as in, bulldozer, because he's so big and strong.   Both breastfed, same parents, totally different results.

Your milk is made specifically for your child and so you know he's growing exactly how he was meant to grow.  

SillyRooster
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM

How do you know he'd be any bigger had you not breastfed?  And with this country's obesity epidemic how do you know that your other children won't continue to be in the 90th percentile?  You can't change the past and can't predict the future (or can you?).  You can only work with the here and now.  Is his pediatrician concerned about his weight?

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Yes, yoiu did. He's a perfect size.l YDid you know children's clothing sizes, like adult sizes, are based on average sizes of Americans? And those average sizes have been going UP.

A 2T now is what used to be a 3 or 4T.

Relax. He's FINE. I might be worried about the older kids. Mine was 90th percentile and has serious weight issues now...he's too heavy.

new_mom808
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Everyone is different. I have a brother that is 6'7" and a sister that is barely 6'2" Hard to believe we came from the same gene pool. But we did. (All BF by the way) The change in size is not related.
And my DS isnt a big fan of whole milk either. I cant say I blame him, I mean compared to breast milk it's not the best. We have found that cutting it 1/2 with rice milk (sweeter) or Soy milk works great for him.

lyndallsmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM

My girls are different too. They have always been thin, Lyndall has always been below 50th percentile for weight and above 50th percentile for height. Mia has been in the 10th percentile for weight and 50th for height. Mia is 19 months, barely 22 lbs. She is wearing 18 months right now. I do not regret breastfeeding my girls. They do not have weight issues. They are super healthy, my oldest is 5 and neither one has ever had an ear infection. They are both picky eaters though.

Kids are all different from eachother and in families.

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

luna08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM

my dd was ff and my ds is bf and they are following almost the exact growth curve even though they were 1lbs diffrent at birth. theres a ton of genetics. just like the couple in england had twins but one is white, blonde hair blue eyes and the other is brown, black hair and dark eyes. my dd is 21mo and is still in 12-18mo clothing diffrent brands fit difrently, and thens theres how active they are tons of stuff, if hes not bone thin, looking like hes starving which im sure someone would say something if he did then hes fine oh btw i had a coworker whos first dd was always long and lean still is and her second is such a chunk, both ff, same nutrician and exercise plans, they just have diffrent bodies

angelbabies14
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I don't regret my choice one bit.  My 22 month old is 22.8 lbs and in 12m and some 18m clothing.  Its no big deal.  I was worried for awhile but then realized she's her own person and is allowed to be petite.  My son is catching up to her and he's also EBF at 6 months now he's 17 lbs soon enough he'll surpass his sister.  No big deal.  They are HEALTHY that's all that matters.

Destiny13
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:40 AM

My DD is the same way/weigh lol.

I would like to say that formula is contribution to the obesity epidemic.

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM

probably is just genetics. I FF my first 3 kids, and EBF my last 4th baby. one of my FF babies was under 10% for weight and over 100% for height. My EBF baby, although on the smaller side, is still just a tad under average..but no where near as tiny as my FF baby.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I have 4 boys.  My oldest wa EBF for 12 weeks, then EFF.  He always ate small amounts, but loved veggies and hated fruits, even juice.  My 2nd child was EBf for 3 weeks then BF and FF for 2 more weeks then EFF, he is my pickiest eatter.  He loves fruits, hates veggies and seriously has gone 4 days with only 2 bites of one nugget and some milk to drink.  My 3rd child was EBF and is still BF at 37 months, he will eat ANYTHING, 100% anything I feed him.  He has always had a good appetitie and nursed loads too.  Now he nurses maybe every other day and his appetite is slowing down.  My 4th is only 4 weeks so dunno much there.

As a baby #1 was CHUBBY, very chubby, but by a year he was slimming down and is 43lbs and kinda short at almost 8.  My 2nd was average size as a baby and is SUPER skinny and tall at 6, hes 2 inches shorter than my 8 year old and 38lbs.  My 3rd is SUPER tall hes 42 or so inches at age 3 and only 37 or so lbs, somedays he is 30lbs but it varies..he is very tall and skinny.  So far my 4th is looking to be a tall chubby one and is gaining fast.

All my kids have varied no matter how I fed them.  I can say that my 3rd is the happiest of them, has less health issues and 4th is looking to be the same.  My oldest has ADD and my 2nd has a sensory disorder, I can't help but think formula may have caused it or that BFing would've made it less of an issue..so many what ifs.  I will never doubt my BM was best for my kids and that formula and its artifical ingredients and additives were nothing but negative.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)