• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 day old baby and refuses to latch...

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

I did my first breastfeeding an hour after he was born and he latched amazingly, 20 mins on each breast. Then after that, it declined, and it's all my fault. I didn't realize the importance of trying to feed every 2 hours, and nurses were not around to stress it. Instead, I breastfed twice each day I was in the hospital and the nurses cup fed him, which now I bottle feed. Now that I'm home, I was reading a book on parenting and freaked out on the section about breastfeeding. I've been pumping every 1-2 hours to try to get up my milk supply, and only produce .5-1 ounce between both breasts. And latching, well, he seems disgusted by doing it. I've read not to force him, but how else do you get him to do it? I'll get it into his mouth when he is calm, and once he realizes it's there, he forces himself away and then is angry. Any advice on latching and increasing milk supply? I've called lactation services and am waiting on a call back. Wish they'd hurry... I feel like each moment I'm getting further and further away from getting to breast feed.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tayers
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Can I ask why you are giving a bottle or why one was introduced in the first place?  It sounds like he has some nipple and flow preference.  Ditch ALL bottles immediately.  If possible, spend the day in bed with him and just keep offering the breast.  He will not let himself starve, he WILL be mad and stubborn but you have to be more stubborn.  kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding and has all kinds of info on it.  THere is alot on how to get baby back to breast.  Dont stress many woman have this problem due to misinformation and unless they have surgically removed your breasts you can get him back on.  Since you are pumping if you feel like you absolutely need to supplement with that than get an SNS (supplemental nursing system) so that when he is getting that he is still at breast stimulating your milk supply.

LeanneC
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Dump the bottles (and paci's, if he gets one).  Feed by cup or syringe.   Try to latch him before, during and after every feeding.  Try between feedings, try when he's sleepy, try when he's wide awake.   He will eventually get it, you just have to keep trying until he does. 

Keep pumping, .5-1oz is perfect... I wouldn't expect any more than that.  Pump every 2 hours and feed him whatever you pump. 

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Quoting sarah_christina:

I did my first breastfeeding an hour after he was born and he latched amazingly, 20 mins on each breast. Then after that, it declined, and it's all my fault. I didn't realize the importance of trying to feed every 2 hours,

Uhhh...no suich thing, hon. ON DEMAND> You and clocks are to have NOTHINGto do with each other.

and nurses were not around to stress it. Instead, I breastfed twice each day I was in the hospital and the nurses cup fed him, which now I bottle feed.

OK. Easy fix. Toss them bottles right now. I mean it. And next time around...baby does NOT leave your side in the hospital.

Now that I'm home, I was reading a book on parenting and freaked out on the section about breastfeeding. I've been pumping every 1-2 hours to try to get up my milk supply, and only produce .5-1 ounce between both breasts.

PEREFECT pump. You're nromal. But we're going to have you STOP.

And latching, well, he seems disgusted by doing it. I've read not to force him, but how else do you get him to do it? I'll get it into his mouth when he is calm, and once he realizes it's there, he forces himself away and then is angry.

And then you do it over. And over. Express some milk on the nipple. Actually, you do kind of force it. Get a supplemental nursing system...it will help.

But NO BOTTLES WHATSOEVER. Take a sledgehammer to them.

Any advice on latching and increasing milk supply? I've called lactation services and am waiting on a call back. Wish they'd hurry... I feel like each moment I'm getting further and further away from getting to breast feed.

Bottles in the trash. And you're no where near far away...mine refused to latch for TWO SOLID WEEKS.  So NOWHERE NEAR for you.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Quoting sarah_christina:

I did my first breastfeeding an hour after he was born and he latched amazingly, 20 mins on each breast.

awesome..but now throw out clocks..no timing anymore

Then after that, it declined, and it's all my fault. I didn't realize the importance of trying to feed every 2 hours, and nurses were not around to stress it.

really?? None of them asked when baby had fed and how long?

Instead, I breastfed twice each day I was in the hospital and the nurses cup fed him, which now I bottle feed.

wow how often did they cup feed?? bottles at this point are a no no...stop the bottles

Now that I'm home, I was reading a book on parenting and freaked out on the section about breastfeeding. I've been pumping every 1-2 hours to try to get up my milk supply, and only produce .5-1 ounce between both breasts.

perfect for if a baby refuses to latch and you are pump...1/2 oz to 2oz combined is the norm and you aren't even a week out..you are doing GREAT, a baby your childs age may need 16 oz a day..maybe but most likely less as tummy is stoll growing..with the bottle being given I bet tummy is overstretched.

And latching, well, he seems disgusted by doing it.

thats because your breasts are no longer food, the bottle is

I've read not to force him, but how else do you get him to do it? I'll get it into his mouth when he is calm, and once he realizes it's there, he forces himself away and then is angry.

When he is not starving offer the breast, massage or pump til milk lets down and put him on..he WILL suck and latch if offered over and over.  Often in a warm bath they will latch.  Baby needs skin to skin time, watch for him to root and guide him towards the nipple

Any advice on latching and increasing milk supply?

supply is fine I bet, continue to pump every 2 hours, offer a syringe of BM not a bottle, not more than 1-2oz feeds either.

I've called lactation services and am waiting on a call back. Wish they'd hurry... I feel like each moment I'm getting further and further away from getting to breast feed.

sarah_christina
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Okie thank you for the responses! Right when I read it, I got out the cup given to us and told the husband no more bottle! And so far today he's had no pacifiers and hasn't seemed to miss them so that one is under way. I've been spending most of the day with my shirt off so he can get to know the area. He had one tiny latch and a few sucks earlier...

Now what if he is still hungry after what I give him? Is it okay to supplement? Although I do notice that he spits up the formula a lot. The stuff they gave us at the hospital worked well, but this powdered stuff is not agreeing with him...

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Quoting sarah_christina:

Okie thank you for the responses! Right when I read it, I got out the cup given to us and told the husband no more bottle! And so far today he's had no pacifiers and hasn't seemed to miss them so that one is under way. I've been spending most of the day with my shirt off so he can get to know the area. He had one tiny latch and a few sucks earlier...

Good.

Now what if he is still hungry after what I give him? Is it okay to supplement?

NO NO NO. Not OK. Let him stay on side one till he comes off on his own, burp, offer the other side, repeat.

Although I do notice that he spits up the formula a lot. The stuff they gave us at the hospital worked well, but this powdered stuff is not agreeing with him...

Toss the powder. Put him to breast.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM

If he is still hungry put him to the other breast, keep offering breast..you've got milk and he can suck so he will.

powdered formula is not sterile and tends to cause more tummy issues than readymade but either way no need for it, you HAVE milk.

celestegood
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM

My son who is 8 now was in the NICU for 2 weeks.  They did not allow me to bf, he was given bottles the whole time he was there.  I started bf when he was one week six days old. 

He didn't like it, but I just offered the breast.  And offered.  And offered.  Trust me, he won't like it at first, but ONLY offer the breast.  And when he is hungry, he will eat.  Don't worry  he won't starve himself.  Oh, and he did breastfeed to a year!  It can be done.

Feed on demand, and feed him before he gets hungry enough to cry.  When he starts to root around, offer the breast.  And if he pops off?  Put him back on.  Just keep at it, and he will breastfeed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)