Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would like some info as well as feedback from moms who have done this

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm considering tandem nursing.  I got pregnant with my son while I was nursing my daughter and nursed her until she was 15 months old (I was 5 months pregnant and she was only nursing once in the middle of the night, so we weaned).  It was really hard for me and I still feel sad about it a little bit.

Anyway, I'm nursing my 12 month old and he's doing pretty well, nursing 4-5 times a day, sometimes more.  My husband and I are considering adding another one to the fold (we want our children close together).  My fear is that we'll have a similar thing happen as did with my daughter.  I really want to nurse him as long as he wants to.  I'm afraid that my getting pregnant will cause him to wean before he's ready.  However, my daughter nursed afterward, so maybe he'll do the same.  He's already had a few nursing strikes, which we've gotten through, but I'm curious as to other moms' experiences.  I've been reading Adventures in Tandem Nursing and it has been helpful.  The part I'm most worried about isn't what happens after the baby is born, but actually getting through the pregnancy.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I'm sure Tabi and Gruntlins will chime in as they're both in that situation.

There is absolutely a risk. You have to decide whether having the kids close together is worth it.

Keep in mind that proximity in age can breed contempt. **grin** The closest siblings I've ever known were born a decade apart; all the ones who were close in age hated each other's guts into adulthood. Some of them have gotten over it (and I include my brother and myself in that).

ttparks
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

There is absolutely a risk. You have to decide whether having the kids close together is worth it.

Keep in mind that proximity in age can breed contempt. **grin** The closest siblings I've ever known were born a decade apart; all the ones who were close in age hated each other's guts into adulthood. Some of them have gotten over it (and I include my brother and myself in that).

Thanks for the feedback:-).  It's interesting, because some of the closest siblings I know were born close together.  My sister and I are almost 7 years apart and we didn't start getting along until I was in college, so I guess it just depends. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

My son was 27 months and nursing 5-7 times a day when I got preggers, he nursed the whole pregnanyc but cut back to once a day, right before I gave birth he cut back to every other day.  NOW a month after giving birth he is 37 months and nurses about every other day or so.  I nurse when he asks usually.  He is getting to the age that his suck reflex is on the way out so it kinda hurts, I want him to wean but I may end up having to do it gently myself because of his sucking...its more like straw sucking now..OWWWIE

It can be done..I did it!!  NO guarantee he will keep going but he could be like mine!

ttparks
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Thanks!  I would love for my son to nurse through the next pregnancy.  I really appreciate you sharing your experience! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Quoting ttparks:

Thanks!  I would love for my son to nurse through the next pregnancy.  I really appreciate you sharing your experience! 

Grunts had a busy day so she may be on later but her son was older than mine and weaned when she was preggers..he was just past 3 years old when he weaned and she wasn't really far along.

dmdblleb
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I tandem nursed for 6 months. My oldest DD was 17 months when I got pregnant with DD2. She nursed at least 8 times a day while I was pregnant.

lifetimelove
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM

My siblings and I are all 2 1/2 - 3 years apart, and we're very close (and mostly got along growing up, we certainly didn't hate each other).

My son and daughter are 18 months apart and they ADORE each other.

So I don't think this is necessarily true.  A lot of my friends have children 18 months - 3 years apart and their children get along just fine.

My daughter is currently 21 months old and still nursing, I just hit my 2nd trimester.

Quoting gdiamante:

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

ttparks
by on May. 28, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback!  Really appreciate it ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)