Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Information on nursing an adopted baby

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

My sister is adopting a baby who is due to be born in September. I have heard some people in this group mention being able to breastfeed an adopted baby and was wondering if you could give me some good resources and/or personal tips/advice on the subject? She has never had a baby of her own so this will be a completely new experience for her. She hasn't decided if she's even going to try yet (she wasn't even aware it was possible until I mentioned it last week) but I thought I'd go ahead and see what kind of information I could get for her anyway. :) Thanks Ladies!

CafeMom Tickers
air forceamerican flag ribbontoddler girlttc

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AMarineLovesMe
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

It is very possible for her to do it  :)

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/adopt.html

mwilt
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM

didnt know you could! thats so cool!!! good luck to her!!

Destiny13
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

Good luck to her!!! What a wonderful gift she'd be able to give!!

KadynsMommy806
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

My moms neighbor partially breastfed her adopted son. She never produced enough to exclusively bf. She told me she talked to her doc and got put on Reglan to help with milk production. Any woman can lactate with enough stimulation!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Well she can start off by renting or buying a breastpump, a good double electric one by medela, lansinoh or ameda.

She needs to pump evvery 3 hours or so, in the beginning she can just do it daytime and then do it nighttime when the duedate gets closer.  Do this for 20 minutes.

Taking fenugreek pills 9-12 a day, eatting oatmeal and drinking loads of water will help.

If in August she is not getting a good amount of milk, have her call her doctor and ask for Reglan or DOmperidone(I prefer Dom, less sides effects) and these meds can cause lactation.

I have a friend who did this and BF her daughter from the minute she was born.

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Thanks for the info! :) I"ve passed it on to my sister so hopefully she'll decide to move forward with this. I think it would be awesome for her and the baby if she did. I know I've loved nursing my dd!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)