• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need HELP!~Very lopsided and need to increase milk! **update with birthweight**

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I have a problem..for the first week (Austin was born May 6) I was extremely engorged and it took a lot to get back to normal and get the milk flowing. Finally day 9 the engorgement went away but for some reason my right boob just took that lengthy period of nothing coming out as a sign I didn't want to breastfeed or something because now..with a feed/pump every 2-3 hours I can only get about 1/2 oz out. Whereas on the left boob I get at about 2 oz.

Now really I'm not even too worried about the lopsidedness..I'm really upset that I cannot 100% breastfeed cuz he is not getting enough.

I try just putting him on all the time but after about an hour of fussing..I just have to give him a bottle. His pediatrician actually advised me to give him formula from the beginning due to slow weight gain.

This has been very upsetting for me and I am trying a lot of different things trying to get this to increase..pumping after/in between feedings, massage, warm compresses, breast compression, I drink lots of water, and started taking Fenugreek a week ago.

Any help would be great..thanks in advance!

** His birth weight was 7-11, going home 7-6, 1st appt 4 days old 7-35, 6 days old 7-5, 8 days old 7-8 (granted that appt he ate 2 oz right before the weigh-in) but Dr said weight was looking better and he won't be seen till next week at his one month, but according to my scale he is 8-12 and will be 3 weeks tomorrow. The Dr said with the weight gain he was getting she wanted me to stay giving him at least 2-4 oz of formula a day until later when we could ween him off of the bottle, but like I said he just doesn't seem satisfied with my BM alone :(

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cryssie2107
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM

anyone?

teachermama81
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

well the mods are going to ask for weights.  Birthweight, discharge weight,etc.  Many times docs say there is a problem with "slow weight gain" but there really isn't.  How are diapers?  Also, you CANNOT look at pump output...baby who is nursing properly will always get milk out more efficiently than even the best pump there is. 

The amount difference per breast is totally normal, my right is a better producer than my left (I work so I have to pump)...

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Quoting Cryssie2107:

So I have a problem..for the first week (Austin was born May 6) I was extremely engorged and it took a lot to get back to normal and get the milk flowing. Finally day 9 the engorgement went away but for some reason my right boob just took that lengthy period of nothing coming out as a sign I didn't want to breastfeed or something because now..with a feed/pump every 2-3 hours I can only get about 1/2 oz out. Whereas on the left boob I get at about 2 oz.

Normal.

Now really I'm not even too worried about the lopsidedness..I'm really upset that I cannot 100% breastfeed cuz he is not getting enough.

I try just putting him on all the time but after about an hour of fussing..I just have to give him a bottle.

Oooh, no. Fussing = good. You WANT fussy.,..that builds supply. And the bottles are just making things worse. To the trash with them.

His pediatrician actually advised me to give him formula from the beginning due to slow weight gain.

OK. Need real data here. Birth weight, LOWEST if you know if, current. Docs always want too much gain.

This has been very upsetting for me and I am trying a lot of different things trying to get this to increase..pumping after/in between feedings, massage, warm compresses, breast compression, I drink lots of water, and started taking Fenugreek a week ago.

Likely all you need is a trash can for those bottles. Were you changing enough dipes? One per day of life in week one, 6-8 thereafter? If so, you were fine.

I suspect the problem is more of perception. Newborns are NOT lovable critters! They are irritating little buggers. The normal ones are the ones you want to toss out the window but don't because they're so darned cute!

Get back to us on those weights. But you sound textbook normal thus far, right down to thinking there's a problem. **grin**

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM

One hour to bump, please...it takes time.

Quoting Cryssie2107:

anyone?

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM

a baby can get plenty of milk from ONE boob...I can even vouche for that. When I pump I get less than half an ounce of my lil one...and when baby nurses, she only nurses that side for like 2 minutes. But I have been b'feeding her for 7 mo almost...all on that one boob hehe boobies can b'feed twins..one baby..per boob hehe

and nursing every hour...is NORMAL for that age. I was nursing literally..around the entire clock the first 3 weeks. drop the bottles, nurse as much as you can on BOTH boobies. I always start the baby on my lil one,before i let her have her "favorite" hehe

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on May. 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM

what she said...

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Cryssie2107:

Normal.

I try just putting him on all the time but after about an hour of fussing..I just have to give him a bottle.

Oooh, no. Fussing = good. You WANT fussy.,..that builds supply. And the bottles are just making things worse. To the trash with them.

His pediatrician actually advised me to give him formula from the beginning due to slow weight gain.

OK. Need real data here. Birth weight, LOWEST if you know if, current. Docs always want too much gain.

Likely all you need is a trash can for those bottles. Were you changing enough dipes? One per day of life in week one, 6-8 thereafter? If so, you were fine.

I suspect the problem is more of perception. Newborns are NOT lovable critters! They are irritating little buggers. The normal ones are the ones you want to toss out the window but don't because they're so darned cute!

Get back to us on those weights. But you sound textbook normal thus far, right down to thinking there's a problem. **grin**

Tabitha-Moderator of Breastfeeding moms, feel free to PM me
jconney80
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I would take your baby to bed with you and lay on the side of the breast that isn't making much milk. My milk was lopsided also because of a badly cracked nipple in the beginning. I now lay on my left side & my little guy sleeps next to me and eats off of that breast at night (I do give him the other side also but it's mostly this side). It is now as full as the other one! The best thing to do is keep the baby at the breast to stimulate milk supply. Pumping doesn't do the job as well as your baby. You need your baby's saliva and sucking to stimulate! Good luck!

teachermama81
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM

it actually looks like he is doing great!

gdiamante
by Gina on May. 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Thanks! Let's pull out the old calculator and see how you're really doing!

Quoting Cryssie2107

** His birth weight was 7-11,

123 ounces. Good. expected lowest weight is 110 ounces.

going home 7-6, 1st appt 4 days old 7-35, 6 days old 7-5,

That last would be lowest. 117 ounces. Good. Didn't lose much.

8 days old 7-8 (granted that appt he ate 2 oz right before the weigh-in)

Doesn't matter. Holy moly that's a lot on three days. 120 ounces. Who sez he has a gain problem?

but Dr said weight was looking better and he won't be seen till next week at his one month, but according to my scale he is 8-12 and will be 3 weeks tomorrow.

If your scale is right, he's HUMONGOUS. 140 ounces. Breastfed babies put on four to 6 ounces a week. At this age, I would expect him to weigh LESS than that. EXPECTED weight would be 125 ounces to 129 ounces...that's at right around eight pounds.

The Dr said with the weight gain he was getting she wanted me to stay giving him at least 2-4 oz of formula a day until later when we could ween him off of the bottle, but like I said he just doesn't seem satisfied with my BM alone :(

Never look for satisfied. That's an impossible marker. You'll hit it easier with your mother in law.

Honey, put that baby to breast and stop with the weighing. The ONLY thing you are to know the number of is dipes.

You're DANDY and don't even know it!

And I'm afraid your doctor is misguiding you. Sadly, most doctors get NO breastfeeding education. Spend a week on this board and you'll know more about infant nutrition than your doc.

Relax, toss the formula because it's making him too heavy...and put that baby to breast. Expect him to never be satosfied and rejoice because that's a supply booster.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)